Quake 3 Arena vs COD blops. The 90s had better shooters

beholdmycape

Apr 10, 2009
Back in the 90s we could run faster, jump higher and did not have regenrationg heatlh. Here's a comparison:

<Youtube=EhcmhyVjvrc>

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
This has the potential to be educational.

Called it, let's make this teaching material on how games have lost their fun over the years.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
my 93 year old great grandma was more agile than modern shooter protagonists

inhuman speed + rocket launcher = kickass shooter

slow waddle, QTE hurdling and high-recoil ironsights glued to your nose = the blandest boredom in all of Boring Blandland. wake me up when you get to the 119th cutscene

Jama7301

Oct 10, 2009
I will agree that I'm more fond of the classic shooters than modern ones, but does that really make them better? You're comparing a twitch shooting deathmatch game to a game that's supposed to be more realistic. You couldn't get a very realistic game out of 90s tech, so they're taking advantage of the current consoles to bring that environment. It's really not a fair comparison to make, in my opinion.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
I had more fun with CoD4 and MW2 then I ever could with and classic shooter.
Sorry, I have a different opinion.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Comparing any shooter of the last 20 years to Black Ops makes Black Ops look like a pile of shit. What's your point exactly?

It's not some huge secret that Black Ops blows. Pretty much everyone knows it.

Jaffinnegan

Mar 30, 2011
Is the Point to this Call of Duty is shit? Cause if so, everyone already knew that. But if the Point is that Old Multiplayer games where better then you are dead wrong. I'll Tell you whats an Amazing Multiplayer Shooter, Battlefield 3, and you dont run fast or jump high, although you do not Regen health, and it is one of the greatist Experiances you could ever have with a multiplayer game, and would make you "Quake > CoD" video seem like "BF3 > Quake > Cod".

But yea, if that was your point you are wrong, if it was CoD is shit you are right.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Jaffinnegan said:
Is the Point to this Call of Duty is shit? Cause if so, everyone already knew that. But if the Point is that Old Multiplayer games where better then you are dead wrong. I'll Tell you whats an Amazing Multiplayer Shooter, Battlefield 3, and you dont run fast or jump high, although you do not Regen health, and it is one of the greatist Experiances you could ever have with a multiplayer game, and would make you "Quake > CoD" video seem like "BF3 > Quake > Cod".

But yea, if that was your point you are wrong, if it was CoD is shit you are right.
How is the BF3 Alpha?

Jaffinnegan

Mar 30, 2011
[/quote]
How is the BF3 Alpha?[/quote]

Oh man, its only one map, but it is so amazing, so Emersive, So Strategic. The Sound is just Amazing and it looks next to real. The movement system is the best I've seen in an FPS game (Dice took the "Vaulting System" for "Mirror's Edge")vaulting over benches and climbing over wall. The Destruction is unmatchable and suprising, and things that collapse can actually be used as cover. M-Coms look a bit different to BC2, but they work better for the game, matches can take anywhere from 10 mins to an hour depending on the abilities of either side.

At the moment there is only the "Operation Metro'" map, but its so good, I am happy with just that, this one map is better than all of the CoD maps Combined, and, well, better than every BFBC2 map as well.

You'll notice I didnt go into any Specifics about weapons and that, NDA you see, so I can't talk to much, but man, if you miss this game, you have lost your right to play Multiplayer.
btw, if you dont get it on PC, you are very foolish indeed.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
beholdmycape said:
Back in the 90s we could run faster, jump higher and did not have regenrationg heatlh. Here's a comparison:

<Youtube=EhcmhyVjvrc>
So... He compared two very different styles of FPS: One that is a team deathmatch, a mode where ppl respawn and very hetic. Compared to on BLOPS, sabotage, which has no respawns, therefore require you to hide to protect the bomb...

>.>

Blops is more realistic (not meaning it's Realistic like ARMA) while Quake isn't realistic at all...

apples and oranges...

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I think people's only problem with regenerating health is that there's so little of it. I have a feeling that people wouldn't be complaining if you could take 5000 bullets per health bar regeneration. Why not try those shooters on easy difficulty? There, you are a bullet fridge and can practically melee all the enemies to death. As for the two weapon limit, all I gotta say is, try out some sandbox games. Those let you hold about 8 weapons at a time, some of them fucking crazy. SR2 has an automatic shotgun and a lock on shoulder RPG. And a foam finger to slap people with. I don't think shooters lost their fun, they simply evolved into sandbox games. People may ask "Well, where's the tons of enemies?". Well, first off there are the peds, and then there are the endless streams of cops that you could treat like a survival round. Hell, I bet you could directly link the genetic lines between duke nukem 3d and Saints Row 2. All I'm saying is that if you're tired of FPS games, try sandbox games. They've got all the nutty stuff now.

Araxiel_1911

Jun 30, 2011
There was Quake. I played the Quake series in MP. Quake was fun.
Now there is CodBlops. I play CodBlops in MP. CodBlops is fun.
But mostly, now there is TeamFortress 2. I play lots of TeamFortress 2 in MP. TeamFortress 2 is a lot of fun.

Don't see why the old MP days were so much better. If I'd have to chose between Quake and TF2, I would go with TF2, always.

And by the way: TF2 has no regenerativ health and it's both fast and slow (depending on the class)
And by the way²: Comparing CodBlops with Quake is like comparing Hearts of Iron 3 with Angry Birds, both require tactic...that means they're the same, derpiderpiderp.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

I find 90s shooters to be simplistic, boring and rife with terrible level design.

Granted, modern shooters come with a plentiful supply of their own problems, but at least I actually have to be awake to play them.

irishstormtrooper

Mar 19, 2009
So you're saying that running around with rocket launchers is more fun than camping. This is true. To say that running around with rocket launchers is more fun than any of the modern shooters, is not.