Queen Elizabeth II, Longest Reigning Monarch of England/UK, Dies

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Real talk, and I'm asking any UK/Canada/Australian based Escapers. What fucking duties does the King do? State business? PAPERWORK?! What Debbie in accounting can't do her work 'cause the creepy old man with royal blood isn't there to sign a c-10d document?
I'm sorry he has cancer, but what kind of bullshit is that. He's not a worker, he's never worked a day in his life.
Entirely ceremonial and they get to stay rich forever. The only good Monarch is a dead Monarch.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Real talk, and I'm asking any UK/Canada/Australian based Escapers. What fucking duties does the King do? State business? PAPERWORK?! What Debbie in accounting can't do her work 'cause the creepy old man with royal blood isn't there to sign a c-10d document?
I'm sorry he has cancer, but what kind of bullshit is that. He's not a worker, he's never worked a day in his life.
The royals provide a nice distraction for the arseholes that actually own/run the country. I imagine this will conveniently cover up some Tory fuckery.

Debbie in accounting can provide a bit of a distraction, but she needs a few bottles of Lambrini and some vaseline, and will probably get arrested. The king gets much wider press coverage and can't be charged with anything except treason, so he's much more useful in that regard.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, *mumble mumble mumble*

Though, for some reason, people like the royal family, royal visits get loads of people excited and standing around to watch them go past.

As an aside, every odd numbered King Charles so far has been beheaded. Ok, that makes one of them. Sort wonder why they went with that name.

Reactions: SilentPony

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Entirely ceremonial and they get to stay rich forever. The only good Monarch is a dead Monarch.
Oh I get that. It just seems like, from the reading of that announcement, that the King expects people to believer he's like at a desk, signing papers or having political meetings. Like that there's a job that goes along with the bullshit royal privileges.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, the most impact they’ve ever had here from memory was the Queen’s involvement in what we call The Dismissal. In short, the Governor General - the Crown’s representative in Australia - essentially told Prime Minister Gough Whitlam and his party they were fired for failing to pass a budget through an obstructionist parliament.

There is a great deal more to it than that of course but they do have some level of power. Plus I think it’s still law that the monarch must sign certain laws once passed by Parliament.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There is a great deal more to it than that of course but they do have some level of power. Plus I think it’s still law that the monarch must sign certain laws once passed by Parliament.
Yeah, they have to do that. The last time a monarch in the UK didn't give approval was some centuries back, as the political situation suddenly and drastically changed before they signed it, so asking the monarch to not give approval was a convenient way of cancelling a law they didn't want anymore.

Interestingly, something similar happened in Australia this century, they discovered at the last moment that some of the procedure had been missed, so the got the Governor General to not give approval so they could go back and do it properly.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
As an aside, every odd numbered King Charles so far has been beheaded. Ok, that makes one of them. Sort wonder why they went with that name.
His son Charles II meanwhile was a French puppet who kept losing wars to the dutch and arranged a marriage that ultimately got his dynasty kicked out of England. The name Charles has kind of a bad track record.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Does Charles know he's against chemotherapy?
The only thing I can find talking about him being against chemotherapy is that site's article, and this Washington Post article about his beliefs on "integrated health care" involving things like coffee enemas and fruit juices. So while I'd like to make a joke about printing off King William stationery, I'm not sure I believe that allegation.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The only thing I can find talking about him being against chemotherapy is that site's article, and this Washington Post article about his beliefs on "integrated health care" involving things like coffee enemas and fruit juices. So while I'd like to make a joke about printing off King William stationery, I'm not sure I believe that allegation.
You don't think he'll Steve Jobs himself?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Though, for some reason, people like the royal family, royal visits get loads of people excited and standing around to watch them go past.
I remember when I was a kid in infant school, I couldn't have been much older than 5 or 6 and we got taken out of school because some minor Royal was going to pass through the town I lived in. I remember standing around for what felt like forever and then a car drove past and I got taken back to school. I was so disappointed by what happened. I just did not see the point. I still don't

Please no, please don't die Charley. I can't take another Royal funeral, not so soon after the last grotesque display. If he dies, I am completely disconnecting from all media and maybe going and living in a field away from people for a while.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Please no, please don't die Charley. I can't take another Royal funeral, not so soon after the last grotesque display. If he dies, I am completely disconnecting from all media and maybe going and living in a field away from people for a while.
If a member of the royal family gets killed every month how long would it take to bankrupt Great Britain? Apparently Queen Elizabeth's funeral cost about $200 million. I have absolutely no idea how many members of the royal family there are, though I assume that funeral costs for the rest of them would be significantly lower because people like them significantly less.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
If a member of the royal family gets killed every month how long would it take to bankrupt Great Britain?
It wouldn't: $200 million spent is $200 million that ultimately winds its way to workers (and shareholders) and supports jobs. In other words, royal funerals would simply become an industry - albeit not, perhaps, an ideal one for the government to be subsidising given there were surely better options (like improving naitonal infrastructure).

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The question is whether it would be a funeral of the same size.

Charles has had a very short reign until now and is not remotely as popular or well known as Elizabeth. I would question whether he could really draw a similar number of guests etc.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It wouldn't: $200 million spent is $200 million that ultimately winds its way to workers (and shareholders) and supports jobs. In other words, royal funerals would simply become an industry - albeit not, perhaps, an ideal one for the government to be subsidising given there were surely better options (like improving naitonal infrastructure).
I believe that part of that $200 million figure was lost productivity due to the country basically shutting down for the funeral.