Queen Elizabeth II Sends Her Very First Tweet

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Queen Elizabeth II Sends Her Very First Tweet

The Queen finally joins the social media age by kicking off Britain's Information Age gallery with her very first Tweet.

Twitter is a pretty powerful tool these days. When used responsibly, it can quickly convey vital information to millions of people at once, and when used irresponsibly, well, it can completely destroy someone's career [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138134-Paranautical-Activity-Pulled-From-Steam-After-Dev-Threatens-Gabe-Newell]. Now, it looks like Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is finally getting in on the action, sending her very first Tweet ever at the opening of the Information Age gallery at London's Science Museum.

Check out the first message the Queen chose to send to her subjects via Twitter bellow:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/status/525596327674400768]

The Tweet was then followed by a confirmation Tweet from the British Monarchy account, stating "The last tweet was sent personally by The Queen from her official Twitter account," and was later followed up with the picture you'll see to the right from the Science Museum itself, showing the Queen in the act of sending the Tweet.

The 88-year-old Queen Elizabeth is no stranger to embracing new technologies. In 1953, at her own request, she became the first British monarch to have her coronation broadcast live on television.

The Information Age gallery that she opened with her Tweet is a special exhibit focused on the evolution of modern communications.

Source: Twitter [http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/24/world/europe/uk-queen-elizabeth-twitter/index.html]

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I like how the name of the account is BritishMonarchy rather than the Queen's own name. Not sure why I find that funny though.

Edit: Yes, I understand that the successor will most likely take over this twitter account.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
The first tweet that we know of. She might have been trollin' the net since the 90's as far as we know.

Sep 9, 2007
lax4life said:
I like how the name of the account is BritishMonarchy rather than the Queen's own name. Not sure why I find that funny though.
I highly doubt that the Queen will be using it all that much. Most likely it will be monitored by a member of her staff, so BritishMonarchy would be more appropriate.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Too bad it wasn't something like "The fuck is the point of us anymore? #royalfamilyderp".

Serious question though, what point do they serve? What does the Royal Family actually do besides give Sky News something to fill a broadcast with?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
anthony87 said:
Too bad it wasn't something like "The fuck is the point of us anymore? #royalfamilyderp".

Serious question though, what point do they serve? What does the Royal Family actually do besides give Sky News something to fill a broadcast with?
They provide a face for various charities, they attract a LOT of tourism, and they provide a heck of a lot of land to the British Government rent-free... The Queen has also accumulated a fair amount of political knowledge over the years, and acts as a sort-of-advisor to whoever the current PM is. There's some debate over it, but my understanding is that many economists feel that the Royal Family is actually a fairly good investment for the UK - that is, when they're not providing the media with the next scandal...

Turns out though that they don't spend all their time sitting around in their pretty gardens feeding the corgis...

On topic: She is pretty immune to doxxing, isn't she? Also, there's an information age gallery at the Science Museum? Awesome, I'll have to check that out sometime.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
The Eupho Guy said:
lax4life said:
I highly doubt that the Queen will be using it all that much. Most likely it will be monitored by a member of her staff, so BritishMonarchy would be more appropriate.
Just let me have this.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
The Queen has Twitter? Great Scott!

*monocle falls into glass of tea*

But yeah as Eupho Guy said, she probably won't use it herself. I mean, she's 88. I highly doubt she'll be using computers much.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, boring. She needs to say something stupid, and then backpedal and offer non-apologies and claim she was misinterpreted.

Or get into a fight with someone. England and France have been at peace for a long while now, it's getting weird.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Denamic said:
The first tweet that we know of. She might have been trollin' the net since the 90's as far as we know.
I would like to imagine this is true now. Someone, find proof!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I wished she had tweeted "Sup Australia, you are still my bitches" or "Fuck you Salmond #StillQueen"

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
A shame it wasn't an announcement that the monarchy was ending.

lax4life said:
I'd assume is so the next in line can *assume direct control* of the account or something of that nature.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Oh man, how brilliant would it have been if Her Gracious Majesty had waded into the GamerGate debacle on one side or another?

"Angry Twitter users are being charged with treason after sending death threats to the Queen of England after she declared for one side or another of the GamerGate controversy...."

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Eh, boring. She needs to say something stupid, and then backpedal and offer non-apologies and claim she was misinterpreted.

Or get into a fight with someone. England and France have been at peace for a long while now, it's getting weird.
Isn't that what her husband, Prince Philip, is for? If he had a twitter account, there would be so many stupid comments, deleted tweets and apologies.