question about fatal frame game series...

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
i've never played any of the fatal frame games.. is walking around and taking pictures of ghosts the only thing you do?

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
No. There is also puzzle solving typical of the survival horror genre before action games hijacked it.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
Also, it's less "Walking around taking pictures" and more "Holy crap, I'm being chased! I gotta take pictures!"

Think of how guns work in a traditional survival horror game. The Camera Obscura works pretty much the same way, except it also forces you into first-person view and gives you tunnel vision, which enhances a bit of the fright factor.

It really is worth it. Fatal Frame II is one of the only games that has managed to scare me.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
The LAST thing you want to do when up against a ghost is to be kissing distance from it. The camera forces you to do that.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
Aerosteam said:
The LAST thing you want to do when up against a ghost is to be kissing distance from it. The camera forces you to do that.
Good point. It's actually not like having a gun at all, since the camera won't do any appreciable damage from a distance. I guess it's more like a sword or a spear, range-wise. And there's the timing. You have to wait until the ghost makes itself vulnerable, but it does so right before it's about to take a rather large chunk of your health.

I've got to find Fatal Frame II again.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Hello, resident horror person here. No, it's not all you do. There are puzzles, riddles, a grizly dark past to uncover and figure out. There's so much going on! Plus the ghosts are absolutely terrifying. The voices, the sounds, everything. You don't want to be near these things, you really don't. You won't even want to look at them. But the camera forces you to.

That game will make you dread every time you have to raise that camera. Because you know shit's about to go down and you just want to run a mile but you can't. You have to do it. And you have to wait for the right moment. So you're stuck there, in a room/corridor/a place with a terrifying being of evil chasing you down. You don't know where it's going to come from next. Will it come from the walls? the ceiling? the floor? out of sodding nowhere? You don't know, and the game makes you sit there and wait for it to happen.

So give the games a chance. They are so well worth it.