Question about Right Said Fred Detention 2 (RDR2)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, I'm debating picking up Red Dead 2, but I am curious how much of it is the part I've seen, centered around gathering supplies for the camp you are tied to. I actually like that idea, and enjoy it in other games, of going out and providing supplies to a location to improve the condition of allies, and seeing the change in their living conditions and stuff. But I'm not sure how much of the game is actually centered around that?

Is it just sort of a tacked on thing on the side of the "Let's watch our leader go crazy" story? Or is it a primary component of the game itself?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So, I'm debating picking up Red Dead 2, but I am curious how much of it is the part I've seen, centered around gathering supplies for the camp you are tied to. I actually like that idea, and enjoy it in other games, of going out and providing supplies to a location to improve the condition of allies, and seeing the change in their living conditions and stuff. But I'm not sure how much of the game is actually centered around that?

Is it just sort of a tacked on thing on the side of the "Let's watch our leader go crazy" story? Or is it a primary component of the game itself?

Geez I’m sorry this hasn’t gotten an answer yet! I was looking for another thread to actually add something Red Dead related.

I’ve put in over four (real) days worth into the campaign my first play through and almost twice that online, so have some experience here. The camp supply acts as an intrinsic meta game, and it is as well-implemented as the main story. Actually it’s the bigger part of the game when considering it’s spread across six chapters plus two epilogues (but in a different way there), and there is always something to do. The more you contribute the more perks you get in gameplay, as well as giving a boost to camp morale. Almost every posse member also has different personal stories to tell, and the most natural feeling side quests I’ve seen in a game.

In the interest of leaving you to discover this all for yourself, I’ll simply say that if you’re looking for a game that lets you bask in the smallest minutia of detail and gives that feeling of “living the life”, then look no further. Your honor also has a big impact on how things play out in the end, so take special consideration of your day-to-day actions. Oh, and spend as much time as possible in chapter 3, because the narrative road starts getting mighty heavy after that.

Lastly, what I was originally going to post in another thread could fit here as well -

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Geez I’m sorry this hasn’t gotten an answer yet! I was looking for another thread to actually add something Red Dead related.
It's ok, I think my jokey thread name probably turned people off :p

I’ve put in over four (real) days worth into the campaign my first play through and almost twice that online, so have some experience here. The camp supply acts as an intrinsic meta game, and it is as well-implemented as the main story. Actually it’s the bigger part of the game when considering it’s spread across six chapters plus two epilogues (but in a different way there), and there is always something to do. The more you contribute the more perks you get in gameplay, as well as giving a boost to camp morale. Almost every posse member also has different personal stories to tell, and the most natural feeling side quests I’ve seen in a game.

In the interest of leaving you to discover this all for yourself, I’ll simply say that if you’re looking for a game that lets you bask in the smallest minutia of detail and gives that feeling of “living the life”, then look no further. Your honor also has a big impact on how things play out in the end, so take special consideration of your day-to-day actions. Oh, and spend as much time as possible in chapter 3, because the narrative road starts getting mighty heavy after that.

Lastly, what I was originally going to post in another thread could fit here as well -

Yeah to be frank, I'm not a huge fan of "playing an outlaw" kind of story. It's never been a draw for me, as I prefer to play characters that are actually, you know, not a walking shitbag who makes everything worse where they pass :p And I like to see the efforts I do to make the characters' lives around me better, actually be more than just cosmetic things. I think I first fell in love with it from the first inFamous game (god I love that game more and more as time goes by). Anyway, I liked that if you did the little side missions in the various districts, it made things visibly better for people. As your heroic reputation went up, they no longer saw you as a threat (shouting insults and slurs at you as you passed), and instead started calling out to you in encouragement for what you are doing. Random citizens will run up to you and ask you to help another nearby person in need, they will stop and take a picture of you, and if you hang around long enough, you can hear them call a friend and be like "omg I just saw him! I took his picture! isn't it crazy?!" But my favorite, is when you get to the maximum rank, they actually help you fight. And you might think it's nothing much, but they genuinely saved my life one time, as I got ambushed by a group of thugs, at just a really bad moment, low health, low power, cornered and knocked down due to a blast. But the ENTIRE city block, instead of running, all converge on the thugs on the roof, and start raining rocky death down upon them. Killing like 2 of the ambushers, giving me enough time to get up and finish the rest off. The city districts start to look cleaner as you restore power, and lights start to glow in all the buildings. And basically you just SEE the work you put into that area to make things better. And i LOVE that shit.

So I was hoping that the "provide for your camp of friends/refugees" would be at least on par with that, if not more developed. Because I frankly don't really care about things like train heists and robberies and such. But I DO care about the idea of a game that is an open world sandbox where I have a community that I can help to make better with my gameplay.

So based on that statement, would you say the "base building" part of RDR2 would scratch that itch?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's ok, I think my jokey thread name probably turned people off :p

Yeah to be frank, I'm not a huge fan of "playing an outlaw" kind of story. It's never been a draw for me, as I prefer to play characters that are actually, you know, not a walking shitbag who makes everything worse where they pass :p And I like to see the efforts I do to make the characters' lives around me better, actually be more than just cosmetic things. I think I first fell in love with it from the first inFamous game (god I love that game more and more as time goes by). Anyway, I liked that if you did the little side missions in the various districts, it made things visibly better for people. As your heroic reputation went up, they no longer saw you as a threat (shouting insults and slurs at you as you passed), and instead started calling out to you in encouragement for what you are doing. Random citizens will run up to you and ask you to help another nearby person in need, they will stop and take a picture of you, and if you hang around long enough, you can hear them call a friend and be like "omg I just saw him! I took his picture! isn't it crazy?!" But my favorite, is when you get to the maximum rank, they actually help you fight. And you might think it's nothing much, but they genuinely saved my life one time, as I got ambushed by a group of thugs, at just a really bad moment, low health, low power, cornered and knocked down due to a blast. But the ENTIRE city block, instead of running, all converge on the thugs on the roof, and start raining rocky death down upon them. Killing like 2 of the ambushers, giving me enough time to get up and finish the rest off. The city districts start to look cleaner as you restore power, and lights start to glow in all the buildings. And basically you just SEE the work you put into that area to make things better. And i LOVE that shit.

So I was hoping that the "provide for your camp of friends/refugees" would be at least on par with that, if not more developed. Because I frankly don't really care about things like train heists and robberies and such. But I DO care about the idea of a game that is an open world sandbox where I have a community that I can help to make better with my gameplay.

So based on that statement, would you say the "base building" part of RDR2 would scratch that itch?

Well there’s the narrative which goes down a certain predetermined path, but how you get there and what people think of you will ultimately depend on your independent deeds along the way. You can either be a dirtbag and get what you deserve, or something that fits more with the theme of the game’s title, which has much bigger emotional payoff. It’s a big reason why Arthur Morgan is largely considered one of the most well written characters in gaming, even after such a short time.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well there’s the narrative which goes down a certain predetermined path, but how you get there and what people think of you will ultimately depend on your independent deeds along the way. You can either be a dirtbag and get what you deserve, or something that fits more with the theme of the game’s title, which has much bigger emotional payoff. It’s a big reason why Arthur Morgan is largely considered one of the most well written characters in gaming, even after such a short time.
Yeah I know there is the story of the gang of criminals and their reaction to the slow decent into madness of their leader, and how to do damage control on that. I'm specifically curious about the town building.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah I know there is the story of the gang of criminals and their reaction to the slow decent into madness of their leader, and how to do damage control on that. I'm specifically curious about the town building.
Yup, you can spend as much time you want - at least in chapters 2, 3, most of 4, some of 6 - supplying the camp with everything from food (either hunted and delivered yourself or supplied via ledger), medicine, ammunition, money, other loot that can be converted to cash, and also chores like supplying hay for horses, water for cooking, cleaning, etc. wood for the fires, and then there’s the side story beats of different camp members for whom you can find different things out in the world to get something unique in return or simply doing it as a favor to boost your honor. They each have stories to tell but they may not always share things with you if you’re being a pos with low honor.

You can also expand your camp with different amenities and it’s best to get them as soon as they’re available to make life easier. There are also a bunch of customization options when you give specific animal hides and such to the butcher. As for the rest of the “world”, the NPCs have their own routines and you can watch them carry their lives out if you’re curious or bored. I haven’t played around with it much but pretty sure your influence on them is limited to shooting them or having buildings being boarded up for a while after a big shootout. Sometimes there are unique story threads for them where you can affect their outcome as a passerby, such as a public hanging. There are several YouTube examples of what happens when you choose to interfere with random events in the game world and follow the person involved to see what resulted from it. Nothing story-related but an extra layer of interactivity to marvel at.

Reactions: happyninja42