Question about Steam community market (or Is Steam being randomly homophobic?)

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
So I got myself a nice shiny foil Summer Adventure trading card with about 12 hours left in the Steam sale, so I thought "maybe I'll try that newfangled market I've heard so much about." I popped my card in for a dollar or so, went to sleep, and checked my email to find a confirm on my trade. That's all well and good, but there was one line of the receipt that baffled me...

"An item you listed on the Community Store has been sold to some ******"

Umm...again, I've never sold anything on the market before, so I have no idea how the receipts are supposed to look. Did I sell my card to a user named "some ******" and am I being trolled? Or is Steam suddenly taking a new aggressive posture towards its customer base? I've been wondering all day if this is some backfiring attempt to seem edgy or something

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Launcelot111 said:
Did I sell my card to a user named "some ******"
Yes you did.

Launcelot111 said:
and am I being trolled?
Well, for what it's worth, I doubt it. Or rather I doubt he was going after market users directly, I assume he just thought the name would look funny wherever it shows up. So, more likely, you just made a deal with a thirteen year old.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Quick Google search turned up the below guy so yes it should be just a username. I'd be very surprised if a company like Valve randomly started calling all its users faggots.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/crucix

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Hahaha...

I like imagining Newell suddenly having a breakdown over constantly being asked about Half Life 3's release date, and permanently changing everyone's username to "some ******" while heavily sedated on laughing gas.

That's a nice thought.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I've never tried the trading card system because all the ones I have are with about 7 pence.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Well, seeing how I sold a few cards during the summer sale, let's draw the equivalent lines from my email notifications:

"An item you listed in the Community Market has been sold to Mr. D."
"An item you listed in the Community Market has been sold to Mega 4aika"
"An item you listed in the Community Market has been sold to Jelloman"

So unless something has changed over the last few days...yes, your card was bought by a user using the handle "some ******".

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
DoPo said:
Well, for what it's worth, I doubt it. Or rather I doubt he was going after market users directly, I assume he just thought the name would look funny wherever it shows up. So, more likely, you just made a deal with a thirteen year old.
That sums it up perfectly! A very tasteless, classless, puerile chiselhead. Should probably throw "unimaginative" into that unholy trail mix as well.

On the other hand, I know some people who really ARE gay and would do something like that to get a rise out of others, so who knows.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, seems like a regular username to me. Since you can change your user name as often as you want, me and my friend tend to do it.

One great match on TF2 a few years back had some guy named "RonPaul2012" and we all changed our name to that and on voice chat started saying crazy things that mirrored Libertarian stereotypes. Got the guy in on it and the server (begin allchat instead of teamchat) got some good laughs out of it.

Right now on my friends list some of my buds have some pretty odd names: "Baysplosions", "One butt to rule them all", "Your waifu is s**t", "A C**t Walrus", "Mediocre Cyborg Ninja", "Deal with it", that sort of thing. (my friends and I are not very sophisticated when it comes to online play)