Question for people Pro-guns....

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
Devoneaux said:
I'm not saying it works, mostly due to the fact that ours is a society that has grown rather lethargic in recent years. Voter turnout is exceptionally low, as is the average citizen's involvement in politics. I only gave you it's purpose, nothing more. And honestly, what you suggest about "Murdering people" Over SOPA? No need, because it didn't pass. SOPA was a lesson in what happens when the American people actually get involved in their political system and tell their leaders what they want, not in our unwillingness to kill eachother.
I was attempting to devalue your "empower the citizens" quote with an irrational example. That was the "murdering people". I'm not sure which side you're on. I'm in favour of your freedom to purchase and use firearms recreationally, but I see a large amount of handgun deaths and wonder what can be done about it. Regulation, faster ambulances, and free bulletproof vests come to mind. What do you say?

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
PZF said:
[Afraid, no, just smart enough to know there are bad people in this world. I do not live in fear, I enjoy life. I also don't think my gun will save me, I only hope it will should a situation arise. I don't know if it ever will, but I will not be leaving this world on my knees begging for my life.

Also, watching our news isn't really a good argument, they're pretty much publish whatever they want and often get facts wrong. They are quite biased and are more likely to print stories that will help their cause, whatever it may be.
Two things:
1) I'm not sure if it's machizmo or pride but that begging for your life on your knees point is unthinkable to me. I wouldn't go to my knees unless beaten, and wouldn't beg unless someone I care about was in danger. Gun or not.
2) The problem is, most people don't take cable news with a grain of salt. They don't know how to read between the lines and so they hear "Drones flying over Americas farmers?! Obama is evil!" and don't even stop to think for themselves.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Owen Robertson said:
spartan231490 said:
None of which will reliably decrease your chances of being injured or killed in an attack. The only weapon that does is a firearm.
I was never arguing that less-than-lethal are a ore successful alternative. I was correcting you on your use of the term less-than-lethal. Perhaps that wasn't clear.
I wasn't necessarily saying why you shouldn't use a less-than-lethal alternative, I was pointing out why defending yourself with anything other than a gun is insufficient. I was addressing all the common "alternate options" I see commonly mentioned, not just less than lethal ones.