Question for the anime fans

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
Which anime is would you say is the equivalent of seinfeld: Lucky Star or Azumanga Daioh? I know there's tons more anime out there so if you can think of a better one put it here.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
It might be just me but seeing as one of the things that classifies an anime, or at least to me it does, is a clear endpoint, with the show being the journey to said endpoint.

Now it could be argued the some animes like DBZ or Naruto or bleach have no exact endpoint, but in reality its merely several different endpoints, so like telling many stories with the same characters.

Seeing as how Seinfeld was a show about nothing. It would be very hard to compare any anime to it.

However, you could compare many American cartoons to Sienfeld. Ed, Edd, n' Eddy sticks out in my mind as a prime candidate.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
black lincon said:
It might be just me but seeing as one of the things that classifies an anime, or at least to me it does, is a clear endpoint, with the show being the journey to said endpoint.

Now it could be argued the some animes like DBZ or Naruto or bleach have no exact endpoint, but in reality its merely several different endpoints, so like telling many stories with the same characters.

Seeing as how Seinfeld was a show about nothing. It would be very hard to compare any anime to it.

However, you could compare many American cartoons to Sienfeld. Ed, Edd, n' Eddy sticks out in my mind as a prime candidate.
Wait, there's more requirements to be an anime than "Animation made by a Japanese Group or person"?

rottenbutter

Aug 5, 2008
Well, I've never seen Seinfeld, but if it really is a show about nothing, I would have to say Lucky Star, since is has much less plot.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
black lincon said:

I don't think so. Ed, Edd, n' Eddy was more about wacky humor than the subtle humor of Seinfeld. I'd say Azumanga Daioh is more like it.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Evilbunny said:
black lincon said:

I don't think so. Ed, Edd, n' Eddy was more about wacky humor than the subtle humor of Seinfeld. I'd say Azumanga Daioh is more like it.
explain how Kramer was subtle and I'll take back the 3E's comment.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
black lincon said:

I dunno some anime like Tenchu like to wonder around aimlessly without a constant progression of the main story in every episode and still be good but yeah it would be hard to find or recall an anime that only did/does that for the whole of the series.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
black lincon said:
Lucky Star and AzuDai are both about nothing.

Lucky Star spends about ten minutes in the first episode discussing the proper way to eat a chocolate cornet. This [http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZT8uElQCk] was the Lucky Star TV commercial. I don't think you can get any more "about nothing" than that.

I haven't seen Azumanga Daioh, only Lucky Star, so I'm not going to make a call on this. They've both got a cast of quirky nutters, and they both have long rambling conversations about nothing. (And Lucky Star makes an otaku gag or voice actor [http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U2X0K435abU&NR=1] in joke [http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVhkAIgEvU] every two point three scenes)

However, I don't think there's an anime slice of life show with characters who are as big a set of assholes as the Seinfeld lot.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
black lincon said:
Evilbunny said:
black lincon said:

explain how Kramer was subtle and I'll take back the 3E's comment.
Indeed Kramer's antics were a bit off the wall but I don't think it's anywhere near Ed, Edd, and Eddy's style of humor, do you? For me, most of the jokes in Seinfeld came from Jerry's dry sense of humor and George's neurotic personality.