Question, If Anita Sarkeesian is Right, why is Jack Thompson Wrong?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Drizzitdude said:
Who has ever said Anita Sarkeesian was right about anything ever? I am fairly certain the general consensus is she is a moron.
News shows, Game developer awards, Bob chipman, Kotaku... the list goes on and on.

Just cause people in forums disagree with her doesnt mean that people "in the biz" do, because either its the "right" thing to do to agree with her because of the PC topic she claims to fight for or because they have realized that agreeing with her generates alot of traffic dispite how damaging anita allready is on her own.

We might not agree with her, but people who have no idea about gaming but hold alot of political sway might very well do so since she comes over as intelectual and professional even thought shes a total hack that fabricates her own proof.

Chris Moses said:
The main difference, as I see it, is that Jack Thompson tried to get legislation passed to censor violent video games. When that didn't work, he filed several lawsuits. He also used his 11 year old son in sting operations to catch retailers in the act of selling inappropriate games to minors.

At her worst (that I've seen) Anita has suggested a limited causality between certain games and certain people's negative attitudes towards women. All she has done is ask for more games with better representations of women (how DARE her!).

She has NOT asked for legislation to be passed, asked for quotas, filed lawsuits or used unscientific "sting" operations to prove her point is essentially the same.

I haven't agreed with everything she has said, but I feel she has made some valid points.
The topic thought is not "what have they done to harm games"

The topic is that if he was wrong... how can she be right since their thesis that games that have X in them cause Y in real live.

Do you honestly believe that letting your little kids play super mario world is teaching them to be sexist because they have to save princes peach?

Do you honestly believe that playing hitman is going to make you mroe sexist towards women because you can kill people (both male and female) in it even thought youre severely punished for doing so?

Also what valid points has she made?

As far as i remember all she does is reading entries from TV tropes to the camera, mixing in her own lies about games like Star fox adventures or Hitman absolution or Just Cause 2 (these games are according to her inherently sexist with women only existing for male gamers to be violent towards them and get off on said violence.. not my words... hers.)

So far she has only made one real point and that is that "sexist games" (wich really dont exist to begin with) cause people to be more sexist or rape apologetic in real live.

Now let me ask you something... when was the last time you saw someone dismiss a school shooting because they have been playing battlefield/counterstrike/call of EA for some time?

Violence in video game does not make you more acceptive of violence in real live.

Why should perceived sexism in Video games make you more acceptable of Sexism in real live?

That whole theory falls flat on its nose from the get go.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
The_Kodu said:
except I'm pretty sure developers could look this up on their own and don't need a history lesson presented to them this way, if it can even be called a history lesson in the videos.
I think that there is a place for videos in all of this. After all, part of what makes a lot of stories compelling is how they tackle their topics like a discussion rather than a lecture, so it would benefit developers to have a decent understanding of the different interpretations around certain issues, and videos are as good a method as presenting arguments as writing, at least if it is done properly. Maybe Anita's videos aren't the best video series imaginable (though I do think there are at least some good points scattered throughout them), but I think if we're going to have an issue with her, it should be in her arguments not in the presentation method.

Or you could equally argue subjectively that games are saying
"Men can just be evil on their own Women generally tend not to be evil of their own accord"
or even
"Men are corruptible while women aren't and have to be mainpulated and controlled to do evil."
But do we actually have a culture that views things in those dynamics?
I'm sorry but this is too easy to not do

*Looks at exteme 2nd wave femenists*
Are you sure some people don't think that everything bad in the world is caused by men and men alone ?
Well, considering we have to look at one of the most extreme fringes of one subset of a social movement to see that viewpoint, I think it is safe to say that it isn't some pervasive cultural viewpoint.

Except the reason X in distress is used anyway is it's generally more compelling than "Lets go gets loads o money" the idea (however bad it may seem) is to add in something that isn't an object (despite how much like one some can appear due to not being fleshed out)
But when games do reduce the damsel/dude in distress to a simple win state, then they essentially are a pot of gold. They're an object meant to signify a victory condition, not something the player actually has to care about on any deeper level. I'm not sure about you, but I didn't play Super Mario Bros. because I cared about Peach and wanted to save her. I played it because it was fun and saving her signified that I had overcome the challenges in the game and nothing more. At best it lets us see Mario in a slightly more positive light than someone like Wario, who often is just going after money.

Comparatively speaking, when Farah (The Two Thrones) or Triss (The Witcher 2) get captured, it's actually possible to care about them as characters. They both, throughout the two games that they were in, had gotten varying levels of characterization and were obviously meaningful people to their respective protagonists. Sure, some could argue that it doesn't change the dynamics in any way, and admittedly it doesn't change the dynamics to the same extent Paper Mario or BioShock 2 did, but they are at least far better than literally making them no different than an object represented by a few pixels.

Which Anita totally claimed the game simply reduced her to a Damsel and nothing more by it's representation of her as less able.
[Note:] It's specifically 1 and not Prince of Persia two thrones which could be argued to more heavily follow the Damsel story than 1 did.
I haven't played the original so I can't really comment. I've really only played The Sands of Time storyline, and outside of The Two Thrones, which only appeared briefly in her videos, she hasn't really addressed any of them on any meaningful level.

Very true it doesn't mean we can't show strong female characters but with so many criticised in comparison to male characters such as the infamous "Man with breasts comment" it really does question if the industry is just going with what they see as a safe option which will only net criticism for not including something rather than other claims of deliberate malice when they actually try to do something good.
Well, considering most games are action games regardless of gender, the whole "man with breasts" is sort of humorous. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of sexualization for sexualization's sake, and it does creep in to some female action heroes, but the idea of seeing a female that does things a man would do in other games just seems like an inevitability of having better female representation.

Except there is almost no way to do this if Anita is to be believed short of every story having the Woman free herself, then run past the Male protagonist who dies on a spike and then yells "you killed my husband" and beats the final boss to death without taking any damage because remember as Anita said, or something very similar to "Showing violence against men compared to violence against women has very different cultural connotations with Violence against women being heavily negative"
Well, I'm not sure Anita believes that specifically, but it certainly could come across with her rather sloppy way of presenting issues of domestic violence.

But anyways, I don't think we need to go as far as Anita wants, and I'm sorry if I've made it seem that way. I agree that there's a reason that tropes exist, but I don't think that gives the tropes a pass from being "updated" as our morals evolve.

Unless of course in the story there is no reason for or it simply won't fit to have a person from the required background as revealing the information.

For example 47 in Hitman pretty much works solo and talks to no-one other than his Agency contacts.
Well, the same could be said of Corvo from Dishonored, but they still found ways to work in a little world building while you visited the brothel, and while having a magical item like the heart may not work in all games, it did use things like notes and conversations to help build that part of the world, and those can be used in almost any game. Sure, not everyone will read the notes or take the time to listen to every conversation, but at least the option is there for those who want a little more development to the world, which probably goes for most of the audience of many of these games.

Also enforcing ethical standards is a dicey one as the Comics Code authority showed and I've said in a previous post in reply to someone else.
I mean is the objection simply showing the content as some would argue or is it only unethical if it promotes the negative activity ?
I'd say if someone wants to have an honest discussion on the subject then they should be allowed. However, they should be aware of what they are getting into. After all, a person could try to have an "honest" discussion about why America should go back to a slave culture, but they shouldn't be surprised if they're called out for conveying the despicable message that they did.

Of course, there does come a point in which the specifics of certain ethical problems are harder to find solutions to. However, I think most of us can agree that women aren't just objects, and when games show little to no awareness of the fact that women are people themselves, then I think they are deserving of criticism.

They have actually had a Black Female assassin though already. So I see no reason beyond story that they couldn't do it again.
Sorry, I thought you were talking specifically about the first game, not the series as a whole.

As you've said there are potential ways to show it but I'd argue again it's not always possible if the level is designed as shorter or the section has you passing through it rather than interacting. if the narrative does't stick with the same scenes and characters for long it may not always be possible.
I can give you that, but the number of times this is applicable to the number of times we actually enter such establishments seems incredibly small, at least among the games I play.

However the next question has to be, if this is about true equality, should it be always done ? Should a group of individuals getter deeper stories and character development simply due to their gender ?
Sorry if it sounds like I just want one character type to receive more characterization due to their gender. I'm not. It's just that they are the focus of the discussion that we're currently having. Sure, we could have discussions about how to improve on numerous different character types, but in threads dedicated to female representation, I really don't see a point in talking about ways to do a better job at writing the Hardened Military Dude character.

Or maybe the real solution is to make sure there's at least a well written female character in the game to remind us that not all women are strippers and can provide something in other than boobs ?
Well, it could work, such as with Liara, but I don't think games need to be afraid of characterizing their sexualized characters beyond "LOOK AT THEM BOOBS!" Sure, maybe there will come a point in gaming where we can see a prostitute and not think that she's just there for eye candy, but considering games still pander almost exclusively to a heterosexual male audience in more ways than just female representation, I don't think we've reached that point yet.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Okay, i think the topic's been pretty well discussed and we're in agreement that neither got off with a free pass. I'd lke to raise a quick question.

Was Sarkeesian EVER taken seriously? Aside from the idiotic scum of the internet jumping all over her Kickstarter because some seemed to believe the anonymity of the web lifts all basic rules of social interaction, was she ever viewed as particularly intelligent or influential?

All i've seen of her is that she's a massive hypocrite. The only thing on Feminist Frequency i saw was a brief history on Dinosaur Planet and bemoaning the fate of Krystal, only i then later found an earlier item of hers heavily undermining her argument as she seemed against the idea of a female lead in an action game. Is she even worth noting or is she just another bargain basement "Feminist" who is like a talk radio Republican? And by that i mean smart enough to notice there's a problem but not smart enough to offer viable solutions or properly analyze it, or simply seeking to talk about a hot button issue for the sake of attention and money.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
Or you could equally argue subjectively that games are saying
"Men can just be evil on their own Women generally tend not to be evil of their own accord"
or even
"Men are corruptible while women aren't and have to be mainpulated and controlled to do evil."
But do we actually have a culture that views things in those dynamics?
I'm sorry but this is too easy to not do

*Looks at exteme 2nd wave femenists*
Are you sure some people don't think that everything bad in the world is caused by men and men alone ?
Well, considering we have to look at one of the most extreme fringes of one subset of a social movement to see that viewpoint, I think it is safe to say that it isn't some pervasive cultural viewpoint.

I can give you much more relevant example. In many campuses in Canada and some in US male students are forced to take mandatory course (although a short one) with name "She Fears You" where they present how their maleness makes women afraid of them, "teaches" them not to rape etc. Sounds like blaming one side for something that's at the very least collaborative effort.

Except there is almost no way to do this if Anita is to be believed short of every story having the Woman free herself, then run past the Male protagonist who dies on a spike and then yells "you killed my husband" and beats the final boss to death without taking any damage because remember as Anita said, or something very similar to "Showing violence against men compared to violence against women has very different cultural connotations with Violence against women being heavily negative"
Well, I'm not sure Anita believes that specifically, but it certainly could come across with her rather sloppy way of presenting issues of domestic violence.

But anyways, I don't think we need to go as far as Anita wants, and I'm sorry if I've made it seem that way. I agree that there's a reason that tropes exist, but I don't think that gives the tropes a pass from being "updated" as our morals evolve.
Correct me if I'm doing this wrong

-Feminists advocate domestic and intimate partner abuse is gender segregated (men do it, women suffer it)
-Anita self-identifies as feminist
-Her videos are leaning towards that side
-There is no proof or action that would suggest she leans other way, or at least not to my knowledge.

Based on that, I would say that it's actually pretty safe to assume that Anita holds the belief that Feminism as a movement advocates.

Well, it could work, such as with Liara, but I don't think games need to be afraid of characterizing their sexualized characters beyond "LOOK AT THEM BOOBS!" Sure, maybe there will come a point in gaming where we can see a prostitute and not think that she's just there for eye candy, but considering games still pander almost exclusively to a heterosexual male audience in more ways than just female representation, I don't think we've reached that point yet.
No, characterization is good thing as long as there is a point for it. If you are just meant to put the bullet between that NPC's eyes and move on characterization would be rather excessive. And some characters do fail quite a bit (Tali for example is a great character but as a romantic interest made me feel dirty, like being sexual with 12 years old child).

Problem is that Anita presents it as "damned if you do, damned if you don't" based on a fact that one can preform violence on a female NPC. That is all that is required for that to be problematic. I can imagine what would happen if she played Soul Calibur and DOA with all costumes unlocked...

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Netrigan said:
I've known some people who have had a really hard time trying to figure out how they're supposed to act, and, yes, they sometimes look to TV and movies for inspiration.

This is why I say a "web of influence". If you've got a pretty healthy attitude toward women then you might slip over into the creep side from time-to-time, but you've got a firm grounding on how you're supposed to act and you stick pretty close to it. The effect media has on you in this regard is minimal; but there's plenty of people who are at a bit of risk. They need the culture to tell them certain behaviors aren't cool.

So long as it remains a personal responsibility matter, I've got no problem with social critiques. There's a lot of weird attitudes swimming around in our popular culture and I've got no problem with people of any group saying "that's not cool". If society eventually rejects the attitudes, then it'll disappear from pop culture... but more likely it'll just lead to people being a bit more aware of the tropes and cliches they're using.
Well at least we agree that lack of meaningful social interaction is what leads to lack of social skills. And, again, truth be told, games are worst medium to derive that information from, mainly since so little games have them in first place and when they do have them they almost always take distant seats. But I guess people already know that since in your examples they refereed to books (poor choice but can be one of the best never the less) and movies (poorer choice) rather than games to try and source some knowledge on subject.

I just with that those people had friends that would drag them out to only environment where social skills can actually be learned. Greater public.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Zontar said:
The reason is simple: they're both wrong.
This is true. Anita Sarkeesian is not right, she is wrong. She is just protected by some "gamer" groups, so we think that she is right...

There are no (general) patriarchy or misogyny in gaming. She puts bad stories, cliches, specific games, stereotypes, genres in a same pot and mixes them however she wants.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Anita's philosophy is that 'media doesn't exist in a vacuum' and that people should be more aware of what kind of media they consume, and maybe be a little more educated on what kind of message these forms of media send.
While many don't agree on what she says, most agree with the fact that something needs to be said, and that it's just a shame that the message came from a misguided place.

Jack-ass on the other hand think that everyone who killed an NPC should be on the government watch list as potential mass murderer. There's no logic, no message and no understanding of the medium.

One is like watching a child doing a report on a subject that's way over her head, and the other one is a zoo monkey throwing poo.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
ultreos2 said:
Pyramid Head said:
Okay, i think the topic's been pretty well discussed and we're in agreement that neither got off with a free pass. I'd lke to raise a quick question.

Was Sarkeesian EVER taken seriously? Aside from the idiotic scum of the internet jumping all over her Kickstarter because some seemed to believe the anonymity of the web lifts all basic rules of social interaction, was she ever viewed as particularly intelligent or influential?

All i've seen of her is that she's a massive hypocrite. The only thing on Feminist Frequency i saw was a brief history on Dinosaur Planet and bemoaning the fate of Krystal, only i then later found an earlier item of hers heavily undermining her argument as she seemed against the idea of a female lead in an action game. Is she even worth noting or is she just another bargain basement "Feminist" who is like a talk radio Republican? And by that i mean smart enough to notice there's a problem but not smart enough to offer viable solutions or properly analyze it, or simply seeking to talk about a hot button issue for the sake of attention and money.
So being brought in as a consultant for what is it, Mirrors Edge 2, to make sure it's not in any way shape or form sexist in her eyes is not being taken seriously.

Which is a problem by the way. If the game massively succeeds she can point to that and say "this is why I should be taken seriously." And if it massively fails she can point to it and say "this is the work of gamers hatred for me and my cause which is why you should take me more seriously." Literally no matter how that game performs it will boost her career further as well as her influence.

I believe she also got the video game Ambassador award, which was accompanied by a speech from one of "The Last of Us" devs who claims he was inspired by her plight to make the game better for representing women.

So yes, id say she's taken pretty seriously enough to influence big name companies in the very least.
Id wonder how much of that is due to the ignorance of publishers like EA, they are awkward in mitigating PR disasters, because of their scummy biz practices so appeasements would be a likely choice for them. Would rockstar likely do the same thing? Who knows but i'd suspect not. When minding public sensibilties, they'd still want the freedom to walk that hard line. Mirror's Edge 2's success as we all know will be contingent on the gameplay, and cohesiveness. If were talking like a 'Maleficent sized mass consumer resonance and uptick in female players because of her 'consultancy', then she could use that. But companies already peer review and focus test. Gamers would know Mirrors Edge 2's success would be due primarily to improvements from the 1st one's mechanics, and better writing instead of tacked-on story from the start. DICE is not known for their narrative prowess.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
I'll give my take on this.

Jack Thompson called for video games to be heavily censored, if not outright banned, to meet some 19th century moral standards.

What Anita Sarkeesian is doing is, for the most part, pointing out legitimate problems that some games have.

Criticism is not the same as censorship.

Shodanbot

Apr 7, 2013
optimusjamie said:
Jack Thompson called for video games to be heavily censored, if not outright banned, to meet some 19th century moral standards.
Ever read a 19th century penny dreadful? I kid. A real question for you: Should writers of all mediums censor themselves to meet Ms. Sarkeesian's ideology?

What Anita Sarkeesian is doing is, for the most part, pointing out legitimate problems that some games have.
And the band played 'Believe it if you like'. A legitimate problem, for-the-most-part, with some games is a lack of accountants. "Criticising" a power fantasy for being a power fantasy has been financially lucrative for Sarkeesian. Not a problem for her...

Criticism is not the same as censorship.
Moralising is not the same as criticism.

Challenging a judge, now that will get me 10 years in the cubes...

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
carnex said:
MysticSlayer said:
I can give you much more relevant example. In many campuses in Canada and some in US male students are forced to take mandatory course (although a short one) with name "She Fears You" where they present how their maleness makes women afraid of them, "teaches" them not to rape etc. Sounds like blaming one side for something that's at the very least collaborative effort.
I just want to say that I wasn't forced to take that class, so I can't really say much on it itself. As far as I know, though, it was simply a lecture, similar to a mandatory lecture on honesty, that was based largely on this paper [http://www.keithedwards.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Edwards.Headrick.pdf], which I would highly advise reading at least up until the section "Rape Culture". A short version, though, is this: Placing the responsibility to prevent rape on a woman's need to avoid dangerous situations is not only unfair but unreasonable given the current rape culture and statistics. In response, we should also be focusing on educating men about rape and getting them to put in some effort as well. And no, the author is not malicious towards men.

But anyways, the lecture, as far as I know, is itself a response to ridiculous cultural norms surrounding rape which often leaves men ignorant of the real issues surrounding rape. This sort of highlights how the lecture is itself a response to a problematic culture that negatively affects the worldview of many men, who, as we know, also dominate the game industry as writers, designers, and players. As a result, I still don't think we really have a good basis to claim that the stories are ultimately designed and (initially) interpreted to paint men as some incredibly corruptible monster while women are pure innocents.

Correct me if I'm doing this wrong

-Feminists advocate domestic and intimate partner abuse is gender segregated (men do it, women suffer it)
-Anita self-identifies as feminist
-Her videos are leaning towards that side
-There is no proof or action that would suggest she leans other way, or at least not to my knowledge.

Based on that, I would say that it's actually pretty safe to assume that Anita holds the belief that Feminism as a movement advocates.
Feminism itself doesn't really say that domestic abuse is completely segregated, though I'm honestly not sure how often well-respected feminists actually address female-on-male domestic violence either, and it wouldn't surprise me if certain subsets of feminism do completely segregate domestic violence. However, I'm not sure Anita's exact stance on it all, as it could have just been an unintended implication made because of a sloppy presentation of the issue.

If you are just meant to put the bullet between that NPC's eyes and move on characterization would be rather excessive.
Like I've already stated, we don't need to characterize every NPC. There are times to do it and times to not do it, but I'd say when games spend their time sexualizing female NPCs and letting us commit violence against them without giving much, if any, effort to characterizing them or other female NPCs, then the game is starting to deliver some (likely unintentional) disturbing messages about women's place in society.

And some characters do fail quite a bit (Tali for example is a great character but as a romantic interest made me feel dirty, like being sexual with 12 years old child).
I'm not sure about Tali's romance path (never took it), but even if a character fails and ends up delivering its own negative message, at least the developers were trying, and we at least have a way to discuss ways in which they could have better written that same character. Doing nothing is just lazy and gives us little to go on that, "Are you please able to actually, you know, try?"

The_Kodu said:
Videos do have their place however they need to be from someone willing to simply to present the facts and really try not to influence the audience.
Actually, part of academic discussion in certain subjects is arguing a point. Even when a chemist just dryly presents fact, he is essentially making his own argument for how something works, just like how a sociologist trying to make sense of numerous statistics would be interpreting them in such a way to form her own argument for what they mean. Yes, there are papers that are just facts, but many of them still ultimately end up as sources for another person's argument.

Now, there is some aspect of integrity when making those arguments. For instance, the sociologist should honestly present everything she has to work with, and if something seems to contradict her opinion, she should address it without unfairly representing those who disagree with her. But within that integrity, there is plenty of room to argue for a position in an effort to sway people to your side while still leaving room open for a discussion that may leave people against your own opinion.

Maybe Anita isn't the best at presenting her opinions, and she might, intentionally or unintentionally, fall into certain problems like cherry picking and selective bias. However, she isn't wrong for presenting an argument. At worst, she's just wrong in how she does it.

Except that is still a culture, different cultures do have different standards so there isn't really a universal culture as such.
But radical feminism is a relatively minor "culture" shoe adherents seem to have next to no real presence among game writers and designers, so it seems unreasonable to state that a good number of games are being made from that cultural standpoint.

And I understand that there are different cultures that can present and interpret things differently. However, that doesn't mean we can't at least discuss the issues within reasonable bounds and with some cultural sensitivity. After all, trying to force something on another culture [http://feministcupcake.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/tumblr_lb2zvjufte1qeo8kqo1_500-1.jpg][footnote]No, there's no deep meaning behind choosing that comic. I just think it is a humorous way to present the idea.[/footnote] doesn't make someone look like a beacon of progress, just oppression. At the same time, though, having a discussion can certainly help us further develop our own world views and, in the long run, possibly have an influence on our own culture if it gets enough support.

But, at the same time, it is sort of hard to not interpret something through the lens of our own culture, especially if we've had minimal interaction with ones that see the same thing in a drastically different way. As a result, I don't think anyone has to apologize for interpreting something with the baggage that their culture has given them.

Except it's pretty hard to think of a very successful game which was just about treasure. I mean short of Wario world 3 on the GBA and even that's considered pretty much the black sheep of Mario games. It may not seem it but on some level it does work because its something that looks human that were trying to help. I'm not saying it's not nice to have a fully fleshed out character to help but there's still a reason the trope is used over treasure.
Well, there was Battlefield: Bad Company to an extent. Come to think of it, how many games actually have tried to use gold as the treasure at the end?

But I can sort of see at least why it's used more than treasure. Still, I don't think it fully means we have to remove the, albeit unintentional and subtle, message that these are women to be won, not actual characters who just happen to be in trouble because story. It's hard enough not to convey that when they are characterized, but when stripped of everything that makes a character feel more like a person, it really just comes across as lazy writing conveying a disturbing message.

And I'm not trying to say that Mario has to start having the deep stories of standard RPGs or completely throw away it's current overused story structure. However, at least within their paper-thin stories, they can avoid just making Peach an object to be won at the end of the game. After all, I thought Galaxy did a decent job at giving subtle hints that Peach was more than just a win state to Mario, all without removing the gameplay-driven focus of the game. Sure, a more story-driven game would look horrible if it only did what Galaxy did, but Galaxy at least gave us a glimpse of what less story-driven games can do.

You haven't played it............. go do that............. serious go do it now. Compared to Two Thrones they really developed her as a character and for all but the last part of the game she's there helping you or at least alongside you.
I think we're having a miscommunication here. I'm saying I haven't played the 1989 game [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia_(1989_video_game)], which is the only one outside of The Two Thrones that Anita has brought up in her videos. I've played through The Sands of Time multiple times, and as I said a couple posts ago, it is possibly my favorite game of all time. Even with social views aside, I uphold it as one of the greatest example of how to develop a story, characters, and relationships in a game. Yeah, The Two Thrones was still good, but even it couldn't really touch how great The Sands of Time was.

Now I should probably stop now before I end up gushing all over The Sands of Time for the next few hours.

Except unless you're doing it in all situations it would come off as forced.
And I agree. I'm not trying to say that this should only be used when the player visits the "mandatory" brothel level. I'm just saying that that is one good way to build the world with the added benefit of not presenting the female NPCs as just sex objects devoid of any individual backstory or deeper characterization that the game just simply can't go into due to constraints. However, I think better world building in general is just a good idea, even if it is mostly just presented as optional material for those who really want it. After all, most of the world building in Dishonored is from entirely optional content, but for people like me who care about that stuff, it did its job.

Yes and that's the point however it all depends on portrayal. Are they showing slave culture as a positive or negative thing. You example was putting forward the idea of it being something that should happen rather than simply addressing it.
A few years back there was a huge outrage at someone who posted about something he described as "A bad thing I did on Sims 2". What had he done ?
He'd made a old timey plantation complete with implied slave workers and fleshed it out complete with some interracial children and a white plantation owner family.
People went nuts and called for public apologies, called for him to be banned from Origin, called for him to face prison. Except the question is what had he done wrong ?
Slavery did exist and this was a commentary on it, yes it's a very sore wound of the past but it's important to remember the past to stop it repeating in the future. He knew that slavery was a bad thing but decided to create something to display it to remind people it is a bad thing. Yet for even showing it people were calling for all sorts of action when he never said it was a good thing he just did it because it was something different and showcased the past.
Unfortunately, I didn't see the video, so I really don't know what context it is in and whether it was a serious commentary or a just a joke. I will say that I'm not a huge fan of making light of certain situations, such as slavery, given that there is that whole horrible culture surrounding it and America still hasn't fully broken from its racist history despite our progress over the years. For instance, I was able to laugh at some parts of the Watch_Dogs "Making the world a better place" video, but I couldn't laugh so much when it was a black, Muslim, or homosexual simply because I felt it was making light of discriminatory profiling and violence that still goes on. I understand that it's probably different in places like the UK, but at least my American mind saw it as a tasteless and offensive attempt at a joke.

With that said, though, I'm not necessarily for banning people because they did something offensive, but I also don't think people should be surprised if they do receive a lot of public backlash. I think part of it does come down to whether or not the person actually wants to have a serious discussion about race relations (e.g. BioShock Infinite's attempts to have a serious discussion about race relations, which included the potential for everyone to be racist regardless of their race) versus just doing something to be offensive (e.g. any number of minor games made by openly racist groups). In the former case, I think it is good for opening discussion and helping present a reality through shocking viewpoints. In the latter, I personally won't be disappointed if the company goes under. Sure, I still don't think that calling for a ban from Origin because someone has a bad sense of humor is justified, but I also think people should be allowed to criticize and vote with their wallets.

Except many games do show women as people it doesn't show every woman in them as a character in their own right but nor does it show every male character as one either.
And I know that a lot, probably most, games have made a lot of progress compared to our early years. However, I do think there is still room for improvement and that some games, for however much they focus on their worlds and/or stories, still don't do what they can to avoid presenting women as little more than objects in the world. Yes, we've made progress, but that still doesn't mean there isn't progress to still be made.

I don't know, would it make sense in GTA to find notes in a strip club when the establishment is selling this fantasy idea entirely disconnected with reality, the same as real life counterparts.
I'm only giving examples that could work for games that use a structure like Dishonored. GTA would certainly be different, but it could still use its own systems (primarily cutscenes) to develop those characters. However, I'm not a huge GTA player, and even when I play it I'm normally just finding ways to mess around, so I don't know how good it already is at presenting women, but given what I have seen, it wouldn't be hard for it to do better just through cutscenes and conversations.

Except that's the inherent problem here in all media background character are often not fleshed out and developed further games are expensive and you have to draw a line somewhere as to who you characterise. So to only focus one one group is treating people differently as such.
Of course, games are a little different in that they often give us interactive worlds, not just a story that we passively watch/read.

And again, I don't think every NPC has to have some minute detail. We just can't do that. But having a more diverse array of NPCs that can give a look into the different facets of the world would go a long way of helping to build it. And maybe not every game has to have Well-Characterized Yet Sexualized Female [insert number here], but I think gaming as a whole would benefit if more games at least tried to do more. As of right now, though, that does mean basically putting every game under a microscope and pulling out the few good ones as examples, but like I said, gaming culture may eventually evolve so that we don't need to just pull out games as the few lone examples of how it can be done right, as we can get it whenever we want. However, given that maybe one or two mainstream games a year actually really are worth holding up as really good examples, I don't think we're quite to that point yet.

MysticSlayer said:
Again if it fits the narrative characterise them otherwise though it would seem very forced to do it.
Often I don't see it as eye candy but as much part of the scene and theme as a waiter present in a restaurant level or a chef while going through the kitchens in a game. They're there to try and represent and add life to these locations rather than it being an entirely empty area.
I agree that they do add to the world to an extent, but I find it hard to see that as all they are there for at times, especially when so many games seem to need a brothel level and/or don't really show good female NPCs. To some extent, it's really the culture presented through so many games bleeding into itself and making so many games' sexualized NPCs as being both there for the world and there for the eye candy. And there's certainly nothing wrong with having them there, but until games as a whole contain better representation of female characters, whether sexualized or not, it will be very hard to break away from the eye candy aspect certain NPCs's inclusion, even if they do add to the world while they are there.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Scorpid said:
Can these threads be closed X(.
This is waay worse than ME3 ending threads were.
The propagation of bad ideas needs to be stopped though, and it's not like anyone has gotten banned or gone that overboard here (at least no more so then your typical thread of this length).

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Drizzitdude said:
Who has ever said Anita Sarkeesian was right about anything ever? I am fairly certain the general consensus is she is a moron.
No, the general consensus is that she is not a credible source of criticism, not that she is a moron or in any way intellectually deficient. Any deficiencies noted in Anita are generally of the ethical or academic variety - using sources without attributing them, for example, is something that would sink an academic endeavor. Yet every video of hers seems to do exactly that when it comes to the game play footage. There are often legitimate discussions about the examples she uses for her points which lead people to believe that she is approaching the entire subject from a backwards perspective - that she has already reached her conclusions and is now finding examples to back up her conclusions, rather than basing her conclusions based on what she has found.

For example, there is a scene in Hitman (exact Hitman game, I'm not sure; I don't play that game series) where the character can sneak past strippers who are talking back stage. In this scene it is possible to murder both strippers and "play" with their corpses (essentially defiling their corpses); Anita holds this up as an example of video games encouraging players to degrade female NPC's and therefor is an example of sexism in the game. However, it has been pointed out that while killing them is an option, it is the second worst option - the only option worse is to have the authorities alerted. The best action to take is to sneak past them silently and not be noticed at all. Killing them is not an encouraged action - it is an allowed action. To most gamers (and other people) there is a very wide gulf between "allowed action" and "encouraged action", and so when Anita uses this scenario as an example of "encouraged action", whenever she uses that particular type of phrase her argument is suspect.

Jayjay47

Feb 15, 2013
My first post in this forum. Im sorry for my bad english preemtively (not a native here).
1. Whatever "Anita" suggests we can ALL suggest that video games need more interesting characters.
2. Whatever "Anita" suggests we can ALL WANT more interesting characters.
3. Whatever "Anita" says its YOUR choice to either BUY or not BUY the product you DESIRE.
4. WHATEVER "ANITA" likes/hates is still absolutely YOUR choice to like or dislike.
5. Whatever YOU like is what will be the stuff companies will try to SELL you if youre someone they "THINK"(pls understand that) they can make money off.

After all of that: is there ANY doubt that ANYONE of them "game corps" are trying to f*ck you over?
Bring the demand. Theyll answer. Wont bring it? Well it wont happen.