Question of the Day, April 15, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 15, 2010

A man sold his copy of the rare Atari game,Air Raid to the tune of $31,600. We want to know if you'd be willing to part with a game from your own collection for the right price. Be sure to tell us which game it is, too.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I normally find it difficult to sell any games. Kinda.
But if I had a game that valuable, yes, I'd sell it.
I won't hide from the fact that any money is useful. Need money to make plans work.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Yup, but only for ridiculous price ($500 and above). Not that i have any ultra-rare games to begin with.

Kaltazraza

Creepy dancing
Sep 10, 2008
Ofcourse if it's some game worth more than 100000 dkr, about 18k usd, I would sell it, if not I'd keep it because the old games are awesome.
I would probably sell it for much less if I were offered some price.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
It depends on the game, how long it's been since I last played it, how much I enjoyed playing it when I last played it, and how much I'm being offered.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Yeah I guess... I'd be clever about it though. If it was say, Mechwarrior 3, I'd make a backup and get a no-cd (if possible), then I'd have no worries handing away the original. I care not for an original packaging or whatever, as long as I can play my fun game.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
Yeah. I've sold plenty of rare games. I always need the money because you can't buy food with nostalgia.

Last one I sold was the first Blood Omen and I got £40. Not sure if it's rare but who cares at that price?

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Lessee, last time I checked at this game store that deals in old school games the value for Mega Man X2, Terranigma, Power Stone 2 and a few other games that I own were all around the price of a new game. In other words, they can be considered rare.

I can't even contemplate on why I would want get rid of them for any price. Unless of course the price would be so ridiculous I could use the money gained to buy another copy of the same game at a lower price without a hassle. Even then, I'd probably have serious doubts about it.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Depends on the game. If it has a better sequel(Warlords Battlefry 2) then I could just buy the sequel with the money.

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
Absolutely. In fact, I think my family in general survives off of buying things cheap and selling them years later.

I just hope that the 360 becomes retro before I turn 40, and that somebody is willing to pay through the teeth for the old games. I also have a ton of old SNES games in my storage because my mom was a gamer, but I doubt any of them are worth anything major.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Never, but not for sentimental value. I'm the asshole that would pay those ridiculous sums for rare games if I had that kind of money.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I still have the original Final Fantasy on the NES, perfect condition. The cartridge literally looks brand new, shiny and everything. That and Super Dodge Ball for the NES, in almost perfect condition, still works great. Will I ever sell these? HELL NO. FF even has the box, manual and huge map that it came with. Two of my favorite games ever.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
DOOH! Sentiments don't pay rent.

a pity I don't actually have any rare games.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
If I had a game worth $31,600; I'd sell it in a heartbeat.
I second that!

Even 10k would do nicely in my empty wallet now.. I better go check my garage for rare stuff now!

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Depends for how much. The oldest games I have are N64 games and they usually only sell for about £10, but anything over £100 and I'm in.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nah, don't think so. In a bizarre sort of paradox, I would think that most offers weren't worth it and the ones that seem high enough would be scoffed at because I'd think the buyer's desire to procure the game at such an amount was ridiculous. People bend all manner of heaven and hell to get things that are old and rare at a stupid price. Ebay is a den of suckers-born-every-minute.

I'll give you an example. Transformer fans! I have a complete and operational Scorpanok (the original, not the Beast Wars toy) taking up space in my closet! What am I bid?

The die-hard fans of the series will bid high, and the really obsessed crowd will try and top them. I did not pay alot for that toy, but I could post it on the internet, cite a minimum price, and clean up. And that's why I do not bother. I could get these things without going to lunatic measures to find them. So can you. Now, get off my lawn!

*Shotgun blast*