Question of the Day, April 17, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 17, 2010

The recent addition of a $25 celestial mount in the Blizzard Store has the Escapist staff wondering how much you would be willing to spend on an in-game item. What's the most expensive in-game item you've ever purchased?

SloLynx

Aug 29, 2009
Probably 10 bucks if it's really worth it or bellow. I doubt that I'd spend more than 25 bucks for an in-game ITEM, I mean that's a price for an expansion pack!

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Blizzard charges high prices because they know their fan base are a bunch of zombies. No, I would only buy and in-game item for $1-$10 if it was really worth it.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Nothing at all. I have spent a bit to buy a couple of extra character slots in a mmorpg, but that's the only exception, and doesn't really count as an "item". (Only did it once,too. I don't need that many characters...)

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I played WoW for a few years, and a few other MMOs, and I wouldn't pay money for an in-game item. In the line of other game purchasing, like FPSs or RPGs, I already bought the game, why should I pay money for an item that breaks the normal flow of the game? There were several options of getting new items in Mass Effect 2, but I didn't really use them much because if I did, I wouldn't use weapons that came with the original game, and I would be missing something... at least the first time through.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I might spend a very small amount on one but it would have to be a exceptional game and an phenomenal item.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
I'll be honest I've got me a nice little space pony already, I'd also gladly pay more.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
If it's worth it. I spent the cash for Kasumi in ME2, if you could count that adventure as an item.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
It honestly depends, really.

I bought Wardens Keep and the DLC for Left 4 Dead quite happily but I wouldn't pay for a weapon or an skin for an item of clothing like you can sometimes buy in games. If it's a set of new levels or something worthwhile that's completely new to the game then yeah I'd pay a reasonable amount of money.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
$10 or less. I can't imagine spending more than that. Heck, I don't like spending much more than that on the actual games themselves if I can avoid it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Do you mean with real-world money? If so than nothing. I think micro-transactions are tools of the Devil [ie: faceless, corporate mizer, with glowing red eyes, money-wallpaper and, a bathtub filled with children's tears]

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
The Escapist Staff said:
The recent addition of a $25 celestial mount in the Blizzard Store has the Escapist staff wondering how much you would be willing to spend on an in-game item. What's the most expensive in-game item you've ever purchased?
Make your mind. Do you want to know what's the most expensive item we've ever purchased? Or do you want to know how much or if we would spend on an in-game item?

I'll answer both.

- I haven't before.

- I might one day.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I'll buy a lot of dumb pointless shit for under £10. And I have.

I mean that's essentially what DLC is isn't? Just there it's not just restricted to items, it comes with some other shit too (most of the time, I'm looking at you horse armor!)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I don't see the point in micropayment stuff.
Never bought any, and probably never will.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I'm going to read the question in a microtransaction sense, in which case the answer will probably be none. If, on the other hand, you're talking about DLC, then I may pay up if the new content is long enough and if I judge it to be worth the cash (so no horse armour, Complete Alternate Costume Packs or cheats).

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I spent a few quid on horse armour. That's about as far as I'll go.

And I fucking LOVED horse armour.