Question of the Day, April 28, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 28, 2010

This week's The Escapist focuses on how the best days of gaming are all back in the old days. Whether it's due to the passing of gaming legends or pure nostalgia, The Escapist wants to know if you also think gaming's best days are long gone.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Hmmm... there were many great games in the past, but I do not think that means the golden age of gaming is gone.
No, our time is yet to come.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Not by a long shot.

The industry still has the ability to deliver good games when it counts.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Hmmm... there were many great games in the past, but I do not think that means the golden age of gaming is gone.
No, our time is yet to come.
Well, so far there is nothing that has shown me that the golden age will be back, however until I finish my flux capacitor, I have to agree with you.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
I'm not sure how to vote. I think that the future of gaming is on an incline at the moment and getting better.
I remember the old days of Deus Ex (you know you want to reinstall it) and the many other classics which hold so many fond memories, and then for me gaming hit a slump for a while.
Recently however it's been getting better and better, with even greater things to come...hopefully.

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
hmm it appears my vote was the 1st even tough there are 4 comments already...

anyways when I look at the games I currently play, they're mostly 5 years old, with a few exceptions ofcourse

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My option isn't in the poll. Every generation of consoles will have steaming piles of garbage like Lair from this generation, Superman 64 from the 'Golden Age' etc. I still see potential with this generation however, with realism being a big industry fad and, motion control on the verge of being used on the three major non-PC platforms, I do see how this generation could be seen as being rather bleak. There is always the potential for greatness but there is an equal, arguably greater chance, of garbage.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Nostalgia colors our perceptions, just like comparing kids shows.

There were some awful game and great games made then and there are awesome games and horrible games made now.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
vehystrix said:
hmm it appears my vote was the 1st even tough there are 4 comments already...
Same with me. I guess it just takes a while to register/update/whatever.

EDIT: And now it's registered/updated/whatever.

Anyway, I think there's obviously a lot more shovel-ware (ahem, Nintendo), but it's made up for by all the Mass Effects and Bioshocks and God of Wars. I still have a Nintendo 64 and a Game Boy Pocket, and although the games for them are still great, modern developers are doing enough to keep up.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
I think some of the greatest games we'll ever see are past us, but that doesn't mean gaming will never reach that ever again, nor does it mean games are much better now. None of the three answers really fit here.

'Games were better back in the day': There were some of the best back in the day, but there was also a lot of bullshit and spunk.

'Games are much better now': Again, no, we haven't see another Ocarina of Time, that's for certain, but they're certainly not better nowadays.

'I don't see much of a difference': Well yeah there's a fucking difference, they're all about graphics now, and although we get a few strokes of brilliance there's lots of crap, too. Oh well, I suppose to capture my opinion correctly, it would take way too many poll options.

Long story short: the best of the best were better back in the day, the average is better now (bad is now samey, instead of Superman 64), but there's still lots of potential for the future.

kaiZie

Dec 17, 2008
I'd say the golden age of gaming happened around the mid 90's, when everything was still kinda new and innovative. Sure, games these days add features, but the basic structure is still the same and can be traced back to previous decades. I mean, lets be honest, Wii Sports tennis is just pong with flashy controls and graphics. :p

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Gaming is improving on all fronts for definite. However, some big game houses do need to exercise more innovation instead of looking at the pound/dollar signs while churning out the same old tripe...

I do look back fondly at the days of old though, but while the classics are still great to play they're no better or worse than modern games.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
I think for the average gamer, the situation is a lot better now. Games have a much deeper market penetration (phwoar) and are in more houses than ever before. More and more copies of games are being sold, too. In the not too distant past, 1 million copies was almost never heard of, but now look at MW2 and WoW. Over 12 million subscribers (or is it accounts?) for WoW, and MW2 I think is in the 10m+ category.

Games are getting budgets closer to those of films and we're seeing some absolutely brilliant titles coming out, especially in the indie or independent company scene. I mean, look at CD Projekt Red's "The Witcher". That came out of near nowhere by a company barely known outside of Poland and it blew other RPGs out of the water. And Portal, you can't forget that. Yeah, there's still a lot of crap out there as KGH said above me, but the more shit you have, the more diamonds there are.

I think that within the next 20 years, we're going to see another huge rise of Sid Meiers and Peter Molyneuxs and so forth because gaming and making games is so much more accessible. There's small companies or one-man only productions out there making a lot of money (World of Goo is a great example) and I honestly think that as gaming is more prevalent, more kids (or adults) will be inspired to make games and we'll see a new wave of highly influential developers or creative-team members.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Well, this is more tricky of a question than a yes or no can answer, because gaming in itself is a lot of things. While I see quite a few of the better aspects of games long, far behind us (actual challenge in a game, more interactivity and less dramatically long cutscenes, ect.), gaming is evolving in a fashion where there is still quite a bit to offer. The ability to incorporate real story, realistic graphics for greater immersion, voice acting in every facet of the game, open world environments, and precision controlling, we're opening the door for so much more.

Unfortunately, due to the main stream success of gaming, we're also seeing things dumbed down quite a bit for mass appeal. Where this becomes a problem is the lack of any real challenge, the difficulty curved to such an elementary level at times, and the intricacies being removed for easier accessibility. What this eventually leads to is simplified interactive story telling, rather than what we conceive to be gaming these days, with no risk or reward. Sure, it should be an open market for all to enjoy. But why sacrifice what drives us to play harder and longer at the same time? Unless video game developers find a compromise between accessibility and keeping the rest of us on the edge of our seats, I see video games turning into more of a toy than anything else.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
This is a interesting question since the Escapist will probably publish their weekly issue about this question of the day.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
In my humble opinion, absolutely fucking not.

Gaming gets better with each passing day, whether you like 3D or 2D, Halo or Mega Man. We will always have the games of the past - they have been made and are there for us to enjoy; doubly so in the age of the XBLA and the Playstation Store (not to mention legally-questionable emulation). Things that have been made cannot be unmade short of a desert burial, and so as each new year brings us more and more games upon which to feast, we merely add to the grand pile that is Gaming, where there's something for everybody and new and old alike are equally revered.