Question of the Day, April 7, 2010

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
It would be far more fun if each one didn't get totally negated by a future announcement. ARG's would be way better if you couldn't talk to anyone on the internet or just pick up on the answer via Google.

"I am ze Übermensch"
Nov 6, 2007
the bioshock one was cool, too hard for me but cool!!!
portal one was good, didnt know that portal 2 had one!?!?!?!?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Fuck no. It's just cryptic bullshit that lets those who figure it out find out before an official announcement.. I'll just wait until a big in-depth article on the game later.

Hell, I wouldn't even participate in an Elder Scrolls 5 ARG.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I miss the stone... Anyone remember that site? 256 puzzles with a weird sort of outer shell to it, along with the whole dig concept where you go to a location somewhere on earth where... an item was hidden?

In other words, I love the idea of alternate reality stuff.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
I got reasonably excited about the Portal 2 one but I usually just wait for more savvy people to work them out, and then just relish in the solutions.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
They are cool/weird ideas and stuff, but I really lack the interest to even try to figure them out...

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
I love the idea and would happily spend time figuring them out but i never seem to have the skills for them. Eg portal 2 converting the audio files into images, even if i had thought of it i never would have been able to do it.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hell, I wouldn't even participate in an Elder Scrolls 5 ARG.
I would.

Hell, I'd participate in and Elder Scrolls 5 self-mutilation event.

ANYTHING, so long as it damn well gets here.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Some of them are interesting, and I observe as others solve the puzzles but overall I don't bother with them

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
The Portal one was pretty clever, and it was also the only one I've ever been remotely interested in. Even though I found out about it the day it started, I was totally unable to keep up with it, so even though I probably could've figured a decent amount of it out on my own (except for my lack of a phone line to hook my old modem up to to connect to the BBS...), it was already done by other people by the time I would've had a chance to.

The vast majority of the time, though, I have zero interest in them, or sometimes even negative interest if they're stupid/done badly.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I tried to get in on the whole Portal puzzle thing, but I found it to be more entertaining to let everyone else do the work and just watch it unfold on the forums.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I don't really pay much attention to them, hell, I only found out what ARG stood for 30 seconds ago, but I wouldn't say they were dull and pointless.

I can clearly see the point of them, and I'm sure if I really wanted to I could figure them out and not give up, but like most advertisements, they're not really my cup of tea and I try to ignore them.

I think I've reached a saturation point in gaming where I've got too many old games which I still enjoy and have yet to finish, (partly due to my opportunistic habit of impulse buying games in sales) so I tend to actively avoid and even resent over the top promotions and adverts in disguise.

I already know which upcoming releases I'm interested in, mostly inevitable sequels of games I already own, but still, I can respect ARGs for their innovation and appreciate how people will be intrigued by them, however they're just not for me.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I love the idea of most ARGs, and I usually do make a minor effort to get involved.. but then I give up. Heh Too much work and effort to get at the good stuff when it can so often just be found online a short time later anyway.

swordless

Mar 29, 2010
I do enjoy watching the community working their way through them and seeing all of the different theories people come up with as to what it is all about.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Unfortuantly I don't think Ive ever played one... Although I could be in one right now, in some sort of Truman show game...

Think about it

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
There needed to be a: "Not really but I like follow the hype coming from people that do puzzle it out."

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
A few years ago, Funcom used a lattered ARG to announce their game "Secret World" (Then called "Cry Gaia"). It was beautiful; each step required one thing (culmitive) to solve the puzzle.

Funcom e-mailed previous users of their games (Anarchy Online, for me), and attached a letter, and an image. This step (1) required the internet to solve. The puzzle in the "parchment" document lead you to a website (www.DarkDaysAreComing.com).

That Website had a flash image based on your IP location globally. In my case, it was New York. This had little spots to click, that reveiled images. There was some kind of combo involved with these images. Solving that lead you to Secret World Forums, where you met the community. (I forget what exactly this step required.)

The next step required the world of the community, and was not possible to solve by yourself. I mentioned that step 2 would show you an image based on IP location globally. Well there were others, like London, and Shanghai. These imagines, when looked at on the world map, unveiled a 5 point star; a pentagram. ARG solved.

The ARG was taken down, and Darkdaysarecoming.com was utilized for the game site itself after the publicity from the first puzzles was had. It was LOADS of fun, and I told myself I'd try their game if puzzles of this quality will be rampant. (It's an MMO.)

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Flionk said:
I can't really vote on any of those options. I don't think they're dull or pointless, but they're just another one of those cool things that I miss out on because I'm busy checking out other cool things. Also, by the time I hear about a new ARG it's usually already been cracked, and with the internet being what it is it becomes virtually impossible to find the original materials without first stumbling across all the answers.
This exactly. By the time I found out about the Portal 2 stuff all but one of the clues had been solved so I was left just scrolling through a load of fuzzy pictures.