Question of the Day, April 7, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, April 7, 2010

Ever since I Love Bees, gaming companies have enjoyed using ARGs to promote their games. Do you enjoy participating in them or trying to figure them out?

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'll occasionally try them, but I'm just too lazy to keep going.

I just can't be arsed deciphering codes and figuring out obscure mathematical formulas to lead on to something twice as cryptic.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Well, the portal one was insanely obscure, it was kinda fun seeing people figure it out collectively though.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
syltman said:
What's an ARG?
Alternate Reality Game. It sort of like a story that takes place using real world media, like websites and stuff. Companies use them to create hype for games.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
all the ones i have tried get me stumped halfway through i will never bee a good crypto person even though i can finish the women's day crosswords in 10 min if i understand what you mean by an arg correctly

Flionk

Nov 5, 2007
I can't really vote on any of those options. I don't think they're dull or pointless, but they're just another one of those cool things that I miss out on because I'm busy checking out other cool things. Also, by the time I hear about a new ARG it's usually already been cracked, and with the internet being what it is it becomes virtually impossible to find the original materials without first stumbling across all the answers.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Chapper said:
syltman said:
What's an ARG?
Thank God! I'm not alone.
Ahh I feel so much better now!

Crayzor said:
syltman said:
What's an ARG?
Alternate Reality Game. It sort of like a story that takes place using real world media, like websites and stuff. Companies use them to create hype for games.
Thank you for that!

I've played them when I was really bored, completed a few of them but felt it was a big waste of time.

Must refrain from making puzzle pirates joke!

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I'd like to join in / help out, but I always seem to get to the party late.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
The trouble is by the time I encounter an ARG someone has solved it and plastered the solution all over the internet. Usually I'll encounter them through a forumite posting the solution. I enjoyed the portal one though since that took a while for people to work out I actually had some time to play with it.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I love the whole concept, and I love the whole group mentality that seems to automatically form around them, but I honestly lack the patience and perseverance to really get to the bottom of things like that, especially the ones that present a lot of information in encoded form (be it Morse code, binary, hidden files, or whatever).

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
They're mostly pointless since if there's something to win (or a demo to unlock or similar) they're limited to Yankees only. Also I just can't be bothered to spend the time on them.

EvilGenius666

Jul 20, 2009
There should be a fourth option in that poll for people who like following them as they are puzzled out by other people.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would love to get involved in more...something like the ilovebees one again would be so epic

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
It's an incredible idea, and i want to try them, but i never know when they are coming out or what they are!