Question of the Day, August 27, 2010

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Banana Phone Man said:
I'll say the adoring fan in oblivion. It was funny to kill him in many diffenent ways however the fact that I wanted him dead so many times says to me that I would have found it better if he wasn't there.

My personal favourite.
But it also says how much you did appreciate him being there; even if it was only for comedic effect. That's why it was so hard for me to choose him in the poll. He is the most useless from the list. But that's the point. Even Sticky (fallout 3) could be equipped with some hard gear.
I love that video.

This one too.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Zell Dincht from Final Fantasy VIII. He's annoying,I found him to be weaker than the rest,even WITH Ultima junctioned to his Str stat,and frankly? His Limit takes all the fun outta the game with the "Armageddon Fist" trick,which is the only practical way to use his Limit. Booya,heel drop,booya,heel drop,continue ad infinium.
That or Mud from Gothic. He's WORSE than Navi,the Adoring Fan and Zell COMBINED. His only redeeming quality is that you can beat him into unconciousness or even kill him if you feel so inclined.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Adoring Fan didn't bother me half as often as the random "WAKE-UP, IT'S TIME FOR YOUR STABBING" encounters.

That, and a couple of well placed flags (mark as unessential, slay) fixed it.

The others...well. Navi's Cardinal Sin was her mandatory "20 minute reminder". Apart from that, she really isn't that bad.

Hmm...definitely Alia from Megaman X5.
She is far worse than Navi, if only because the game is made to be replayed, and she will not ever shut the hell up. Guaranteed lines for each stage intro, none of it particularly interesting.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
Navi did bother me, since she would tell me things I already knew. "HEY! LISTEN! WHY DON'T WE GO TO KAKARIKO VILLAGE?" "Where do you think I'm heading, moron?" But like it says in the Navi defense article in this week's issue, she was necessary for auto-lock, which made my life so much easier.

I voted for Slippy, since he was FREAKING USELESS and more annoying than Navi. I didn't have to go rescue Navi every fifteen seconds. However, if Roman had been on the list, he would have been my choice for sure.

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
How the balls dose Duck hunt not have a million votes!? That dog was the first NPC ever to mock the player.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
The adoring fan is awesome, he's like the comic relief from an action movie. It's fun to find new ways to kill him, hehe. Anyway, I think that all of these games would be a lot less memorable if they didnt have these quirks that we love to discuss about.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
I think Navi would not have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact that she said "Hey! Look! Listen!". Unlike most other side kicks, she really provided you with some useful tips if you were stuck in a fight or puzzle in Ocarina of Time. Plus, her narrative added a nice bit of flavor text to each monster you fought.

The adoring fan in Oblivion just serves as punishment for being great at the Arena fights (still my favorite part of that game).

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Exactly why is Jak and Daxter even on the list?! Daxter is awesome!

But anyway, I voted for Ocarina of Time. She was too annoying.
I was wondering the same thing. Hell, if anything, he's a prime example of one of the better sidekicks in gaming (I'd say even better than Clank, if only because I thought he had a lot more personality and charm). Sure his reminders at points were annoying as hell ("We have to get back to the city, Jak") but less so than "Hey! Listen!", "Nico! My cousin!", "Get this guy off me Fox!", "Look at me! I'm dancing! I'm dancing!", or read this supersmall text while zombies are attacking or I'll yell at you for being rude.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
For the love of....I'm disappointed. Navi has 20% of 513 votes?!?! Are you people on crack or just ignorant? It's fun to jump on the internet meme bandwagon, but anyone who's ever truly played OOT can tell you that the game would hardly be possible without her, and would most certainly not be as good. She acts as a color-coded targeting reticule that flies to nearby points of interests, including enemies, puzzles, switches, and items. She's also (even if you'd like to think you're a pro Zelda player) incredibly helpful with her hints. (which, by the way, she'll only try to tell you after about 5 minutes of walking around aimlessly) How many of us would've immediately thought "Oh, I should go see Saria to learn that song I heard in the woods before! Clearly, that's just the catchy beat I need" when we needed to get Darunia to give us the Goron's ruby? Also, she's literally the least physically imposing sidekick of all time. She goes into your hat after a few seconds of inactivity for god's sake! She's also a meaningful part of the intro and gives the player a sense that Link truly doesn't belong with the Kokori. On top of all this, she's the only thing keeping Link from total isolation for the large majority of the game. To say that the game "would've been better" without her....dumb....and insulting to a game that I hold very dear.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I would say The Adoring Fan, but I don't really count him as a sidekick since he doesn't actually do anything helpful at any point.
Navi, although she can be slightly irritating, is essential to gameplay namely for the Z/L-Targeting function.
No, my choice would be Linebeck from Phantom Hourglass.

GingerCactus

Jul 14, 2010
Slippy.

While Navi is annoying, she is at least somewhat helpful, and I've never played any of the others.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
ive only ever heard of navi and the toad, if i remember the toad was a bit useless (couldnt have lived without navi!)