Question of the Day, August 5, 2010

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Personally I have the same need for social networking sites as I have for holes in my pockets.
Had a facebook that I visited 3 times over a year before deleting.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
2 things

A: who cares? everyone is gonna be on both, fb might stay stronger (considering their getting a fucking movie >.>)[god damn love child of andy samberg and moot] but google will probably buy fb much like youtube

2: to the people who put i don't use social media websites... isn't that kinda what this place is? I'm sure everyone knows furburt [ferburt?... possible sp] and the others who have 10k+ postings

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
I have Facebook just purely to say Hi to my mates and that's it. Mind you if Google can do games and mkae them all link of the stats together onto one person's page, that'll be quite a feat. If they add achievements/trophies then they've already won the social gaming war.

"I'll have a quick go on Google Pacman...what's this? Mini-in-game challenges to get and each one earns me a trophy of increasing shiny colours?! Wow I've got get them all and prove I'm better than Tim!"

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Lucas_90 said:
Google haven't built theirs yet. How can I answer this?
Shoggoth2588 said:
I haven't voted yet because the Google social network hasn't been released yet. Based on it's track record though, it will fail before release. If it does make it this time though, I would be curious to try it out. I don't dislike facebook but I'm not crazy about it either. It would probably be the same with the Google network
And others too...
Google's gone through two social networks already. And unless you're from South America, you're probably not using Orkut. Google Buzz was an epic disaster. That was only a few months ago.

Google's track record with social networking?

Bad. Really really REALLY bad.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
"Between Facebook and Google" and one of the options is "Other"?

Cause that makes sense.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I'm surprised by the large numbers of people here not using social networking sites.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
The local pub's my social networking site. Friendly faces, cold beer, and terrible karaoke on Friday nights from plastered schmucks. Nothing yells good times like having your friend serenade you with Total Eclipse of the Heart before falling over and passing out, not to remember a moment of it later. Also, drunken raccoons who somehow got into the stock in the back stumbling around like they're tripping balls. <3

MongoBaer

Jun 17, 2010
Don't care either way. I'm on FB but it's mainly another way for family to contact me and play a couple of causal games at work.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Choosing between two evils? Count me out.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18540_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-google.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_18453_5-reasons-internet-could-die-at-any-moment_p2.html
http://billpringle.com/home/facebook.html

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I do not use social networks. The only one forum, etc that I am registered, and I comment usually as I enjoy it is The Escapist. I need nothing more...

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
I already made the switch from Myspace to Facebook. I'm not doing it again. I love your search engine and email service, Google, but you need to give it a rest and stop trying to own the Internet already.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I don't use social networking sites a whole lot anymore. I got rid of my journal on livejournal earlier this year. Anyway, that being said, if I *Had* to use one, it'd be Facebook. Why? Because Facebook is like everywhere now, on my xbox, my playstation, my damn phone even. Gah! I can't escape it, but that's a good thing if I want to keep in touch with friends and family.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I've been using facebook for a while now and all I can say is "what a waste of time". I was sucked in by all my friends and have found that it does anything but enrich your social life. Now I'm sure Google's attempt at a social networking site could definitely be better than Facebook but 1) I just don't care and 2) I have already invested enough time in facebook adding all my friends and I really do not want to go through it all again. In the words of Stanley Marsh: "You guys are retarded, I'm going to play xbox."

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I don't use them but I have two words (at least I think it's two words it might just count as one)) for Facebook. Myspace.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Until now, I was not aware that Google had one.

I'm not a "fan" of social networking sites per se. I've had a Facebook now for going on 3 years, but I didn't actually start using mine until about 6 months ago. Even then 90% of the people I have listed on it are people I know IRL and generally have contact with in other ways.

I prefer going out and BEING social versus doing it on the net. *shrug*