Question of the Day, December 26, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, December 26, 2010

Braid creator Jonathan Blow may not have actually said that Sony takes more risks with pushing indie games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106373-Sony-Takes-Bigger-Risks-With-Indie-Games-Says-Braid-Creator] than Microsoft, but it's an interesting question nonetheless. Which current-generation console is best for indie games, in your opinion?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The 360 has more, and only markets a select few, like LIMBO.
But also, it requires that each and every Arcade/Indie game has a demo. Which helped me choose many times. There is much crap on the indie games marketplace, but the demos let you sort them out.

Whereas Sony has a solid number, and markets most of the bigger ones it has, like Microsoft. But, since it also appears to suffer from lack of regulation, the lack of demos really hurts.

In the end, I have to give it to the 360.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
From what I have heard, xbox 360 seems to do it well, though this is from an outsiders perspective as I only have played indie games on PC.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
well i would say its a clear win for the pc, but if its only between one of these consoles i have to say the 360, i actually bought a 360 just for the indie titles.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008

I hate to seem like a PC snob, since I play most of my games on the 360, but the best platform really is a computer. The 360 is best for indie games out of the three, but I'm not a fan of any of the consoles.

EDIT: I meant as indie platforms.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I outright DEMAND a PC option to be added. I know it's not a console, but PC indie games are usually far superior than console indie games. If I had to choose a console though, I'd probably say the Wii. While Nintendo's service does have a file size restriction, I hear much more good things about the console's independent WiiWare games than I do about independent PSN or XBLA games.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I realise that the PC is THE place for indie games, but I'm some sort of Neanderthal who can't play games with a keyboard.

So for me it's personally Xbox 360.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I myself love the indie games on the Xbox 360 more than I do on the PS3. But I don't have a Wii so I can't comment on that I guess.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
V8 Ninja said:
I outright DEMAND a PC option to be added. I know it's not a console, but PC indie games are usually far superior than console indie games. If I had to choose a console though, I'd probably say the Wii. While Nintendo's service does have a file size restriction, I hear much more good things about the console's independent WiiWare games than I do about independent PSN or XBLA games.
The question was about consoles only for that exact reason.

weltraumaffe

Mar 22, 2010
XBox has Super Meat Boy, other Systems not...
Therefore: Xbox

But nevertheless: PC rules them all (Humble Indie Bundle, do I need to say more???)

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Obviously if it included PC it would be that, but on consoles I'm undecided. I never play indie games on consoles, bar 'Splosion Man.

Jacking

Dec 24, 2010
Well I would say the PC, but that's not an option, eh?

From the specified consoles, I'd have to say the 360. The wii just feels restrictive when it comes to the VC/Shop. Mind you, I haven't used the PS3 to purchase games so I may be wrong.

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
weltraumaffe said:
XBox has Super Meat Boy, other Systems not...
Therefore: Xbox

But nevertheless: PC rules them all (Humble Indie Bundle, do I need to say more???)
Super Meat Boy should have stayed as a flash game. It's pretty repetitive and it brings nothing new to the table

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Um, I don't know. I'm not very familiar with the indie scene on any of the consoles.

PC does it very well though, in my opinion.