Question of the Day, December 5, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, December 5, 2010

Last week, Bungie released the Noble Map Pack for Halo: Reach [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105844-Halo-Reach-Noble-Map-Pack-Overview]. How do you feel about map pack DLC for multiplayer shooters like Halo and Call of Duty?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm indifferent.

I'd love new weapons, modes, and the like much more.

Although new weapons could lead to balance issues...

Just do us a favor, and add new maps for ALL of your modes, including the co-op modes.

Firefight has jack shit for map selection. New Spec Ops in MW2 would have rocked, too.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I really like them if they're priced reasonably and include sufficient content. I liked the packs from CoD WaW, and Halo 3, but not the ones from CoD 4 or MW2.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I really like them, especially when they add more features like the ones did for Halo 3 in terms of the edit mode. I would like new weapons and such to be added, but I'm not too picky about that. I also would prefer they keep them at least fairly fair in terms of price. $10 for 3-4 maps is pretty good, but $15 is too much if you ask me.

In other words: Map packs done right, like WaW or Halo 3, are a good deal and can add to the game, though it's even better when they add in more things like editing options. When done wrong, be it too few or non-unique maps, like MW2, then it's not worth getting to me.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
They're atrocious. Letting the community make maps it not only better for the game as whole, it helps other games if the people who enjoy making maps get to practise.

They're also stupidly expensive for what they are, usually at least a quarter of the games original price.

They even come with a chance of splitting the community, seeing as people who pay can't play with the people who don't.

Nothing good will come from map packs, but the fact you buy them means they're here to stay. They were free before you shelled out to the devs who experimented and we could even make our own.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I like the idea of new maps. I don't like the idea of paying for them.

DazZ. said:
They're atrocious. Letting the community make maps it not only better for the game as whole, it helps other games if the people who enjoy making maps get to practise.
This guy has it. There should be an option for people to make their own maps, like their is for Little Big Planet, Starcraft 2 and alot of the older FPS and RTS games.

Give user made maps a ranking system aswell, so the good ones are often played and the bad ones dont come up, giving their creators a sort of feedback so they can improve.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
It's annoying. It means that you get a two tier system with Multiplayer.

Those who have and those who have not.

And in most cases they are just the same maps from previous games, such as in the case of MW2, and are unnecessary as the maps that are included offer a variety of environments and combat styles (CQB, sniper, vehicles etc.)

With Reach it just seems unnecessary.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I hate the way Halo 3 did it. They excluded everyone that wouldn't shell out unreasonable amount of money. As long as the cheap-skates are not discriminated, it's all good. But they're usually way too expensive for me.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
DazZ. said:

They're also stupidly expensive for what they are, usually at least a quarter of the games original price.

They even come with a chance of splitting the community, seeing as people who pay can't play with the people who don't.

Nothing good will come from map packs, but the fact you buy them means they're here to stay. They were free before you shelled out to the devs who experimented and we could even make our own.
I could see the most played map as everyone dropped in to a very small room for fast points.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Total fucking garbage and people are stupid for supporting companies who removed the ability to make your own maps for free. Of course the fanboys will defend their babies to their very last breath, but in reality these punks were never around to experience what you used to get for free.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
ehh i cn see me dowloading maps in COD but why have Reach. u can prety much make any map u want. why waste money on dowloading company made maps

morkalavin

May 21, 2009
The "modern" way of DLC is a total f**k up! Back in my days (aw shucks, I'm just 27 years old and sound like an old man) we got such things on CD-ROMs on magazines or in the interwebs FOR FREE! Same goes for patches which are nowadays DLC as well. I DO understand that companies try to make money but the way they chose to walk in order to accomplish that is utterly bullcr*p!

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I love them when they're free. But when they cost something, especially the prices that for example MW2 demanded, I hate them.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Rationalization said:
DazZ. said:
I could see the most played map as everyone dropped in to a very small room for fast points.
Would slay your K/D ratio.

But then I don't give a shit about points/stat systems and play games for fun not levelling up.

Edit: Also that's bollocks with the beauts of maps that have been made by the communities of many, many games.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I hate map packs. Especially the MW2 ones, which cost 15 bucks, have only 4 maps, and 1 of the maps was recycled from a much better game.

If it's free (like all those free maps DICE added to BC2) then I don't see how you could complain.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
DazZ. said:

Sums up absolutely all my thoughts and opinions on the topic, thanks. Imagine what we'd miss without modabble games. Counter Strike, Action-Halflife, countless levels for doom/doom2, a sea of custom maps for the warcraft/starcraft series...goddamnit. DLC is an abomination. :<