Question of the Day, January 11, 2011

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, January 11, 2011

Hundreds of volunteers signed up for a one-way trip [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106817-400-Unqualified-Schmucks-Sign-Up-For-One-Way-Mission-to-Mars] to colonize the Red Planet. Knowing you would never be coming home, but that you would have one of the most unique human experiences of all time, would you make the trip to Mars?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
One way trip? No way. Unless I was dying from cancer and you could get me there before I die I guess.

Obito

Mar 20, 2010
The idea of space travel scares the crap out of me so its a definite no for me.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'm a fairly stable fellow, so if they gave me a gun and enough bullets to kill everyone else twice, I'd go. If I go crazy, it's after they've all gone insane first and I killed them.

I'd prefer if someone I knew volunteered to go with me, but I'm not terribly attached to this world or anyone/anything in it. Can we set up some internet though?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
If it's actually a well-planned expedition to establish a colony on Mars, I'd seriously consider it. I bet it'd be interesting.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
It depends, would the people I really dislike stay here? If so, then yes, sign me up today.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I wouldn't jump to absolutely, but I most likely would.

EDIT: Chaptcha - Goody Goody Gum Drops. I lol'd.

Mar 30, 2010
Hell yeah, it'd be the opportunity of a lifetime!

Incidentally, is this Vox Populi sponsored by NASA's recruitment department by any chance?

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Unless there was nothing left for me on Earth then no. It would be a fun experience but I'd get homesick, hell I got homesick from being in America for a month.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
Well lets see. Id be trading all my friends, beautiful scenery and wildlife and all the comforts of my life for some red rocks. No thank you.

Jul 22, 2009
I'd seriously consider it.

It would be amazing, however the thing most likely to hold me back is my claustrophobia :/

So as much as I'd love to I don't think I could...

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
Well, maybe one way trip means you fly to Mars on the ship and die there, because no one's gonna fly you back (and you can't take enough supplies to wait for the next mission).

Anyway, I would go. Even to die a week after landing.
Imagine long flight in weightlessness, humming of ship equipment, blackness behind the porthole. Imagine exploring the surface, playing with stones in different gravity. Imagine knowing you are the first human ever to step on the Mars! Imagine your descendants learning your first words there: "Here I am, #^#&@s!".

Do you really think normal 60-100 year life here on Earth would be anywhere near as awesome?