Question of the Day, January 11, 2011

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
I would genuinely go if I could bring a couple of people, a high-speed internet connection, a 360 and an uber gaming PC with me.

I also assume that there'll be more than enough food/water for all.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Absolutely not earth is much more magnificent then Mars ever could be. Colonizing mars is condoning yourself to a life-sentence. If you stay on earth you free to wander the world, meet fun and interesting people, visit strange and beautiful places. I could go on. Staying on mars would grow boring very very quickly.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
Depends what makes it 'one way'. If it's one way because I'm going to go live on a colony up there, hell yes I'd love to. As long as the living was comfortable, it'd be amazing to think that there's a whole world to go explore that no one else has touched.

However, if its 'one way' because there's not enough fuel to get back or because all our robots are going to go insane the minute we set foot on the rock and murder us, then... no thanks.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
I've thought about this before and if this is in the context of:
.(i) going there to colonise it? No. I value the relationships I have on Earth too much.
(ii) going there with many other humans because Earth is becoming overcrowded? Yes, I would seriously consider it.

Synthenoid

Dec 30, 2010
I would love to take a trip to Mars, even if I couldn't get back, it would be more than worth it. If not for the very fact that I would be outside of the atmosphere, the ability to be able to take in the landscape of Mars, or any planet, is fatally enthralling for me.

t4nz1t

Sep 24, 2010
I said other.

At this point, I have kids who depend on me to bring home the bacon and such. I couldn't abandon that responsibility and I wouldn't take them with me (not fair to make the choice for them).

If I didn't have children or if my children were grown up and didn't depend on me for support, I'd consider it.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
kintaris said:
Depends what makes it 'one way'. If it's one way because I'm going to go live on a colony up there, hell yes I'd love to. As long as the living was comfortable, it'd be amazing to think that there's a whole world to go explore that no one else has touched.

However, if its 'one way' because there's not enough fuel to get back or because all our robots are going to go insane the minute we set foot on the rock and murder us, then... no thanks.
Oh, shit they're on to us.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
It'd be the biggest thing anyone has ever achieved in a human lifetime. Seriously, all alternatives are inferior in the long run.

I wish for an actual mission like this every day.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I've just gotten out of (high) school, there's too much for me to do to even consider going to Mars and never returning.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
As long as there is no flight computer called H.A.L and a man called Dave going with me...

everfreeDragon

Oct 28, 2009
If the chances of starting a stable colony is high enough I'd be on the ship before it's even built.

Edit: inb4protheanruins, I'm actually surprised I was able to say this here on a thread like this.

Yoder13

Dec 6, 2010
On one hand this would be an amazing opportunity, once in a lifetime. Yet, at the same time, I would be hesitant to participate in the daring first attempt due to the possibility of error.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
I might... Depends on A LOT of things, like who is coming with me and will we survive and stuff.