Question of the Day, January 20, 2011

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, January 20, 2011

Yesterday, we learned that Nintendo's 3DS would hit North America at the end of March for $250 US [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107068-Nintendo-Reveals-US-3DS-Pricing-and-Release-Date] (though things are a bit pricier over in Europe). Is this a fair price for your blood?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I'm in Europe, so higher price...
I wouldn't buy it at such a price.
Hell, I didn't even buy a DS, I left it, and was only given an original late last year >.>

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yes, it is.

Yeah, I know Nintendo can price it any way they want, but it's almost the cost of a home console. I know for a fact I will not be buying one until the price drops drastically. $150 is about what I'd be willing to pay for a portable gaming system. Granted, I'm not the target audience and I know it'll sell like hotcakes no matter what price they put on it. I still don't have to like it.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I get the idea that this will suffer from the 'I hate Nintendo' frame of mind, so people will say it's too expensive without really thinking about it.
If the UK price closer to £170 than £230, then it is much cheaper than I thought it would be, especially if the 3D works as well as people say.
I'm mostly thinking Link in 3D. Mmmmmmm...

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
I am not really that interested in 3DS but I welcome its addition to the marketplace because that will probably make older DS models go down in price a little.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Sure, it's expensive, but once you look at all the stuff it will be able to do I would say it's worth it. Especially considering it can do a ton more than the Wii and it was also launched with a $250 price tag. Even though the Wii is a console, it's still inferior.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's pretty expensive, but it'll definitely be worth it for the game library.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Jandau said:
Yes, it is.

Yeah, I know Nintendo can price it any way they want, but it's almost the cost of a home console. I know for a fact I will not be buying one until the price drops drastically. $150 is about what I'd be willing to pay for a portable gaming system. Granted, I'm not the target audience and I know it'll sell like hotcakes no matter what price they put on it. I still don't have to like it.
What do you mean almost the cost? It IS the cost of a home console.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It doesn't seem too bad right now but when the 3DS mark-II comes out (because you know in about a year or so there will be an updated version) The $250 price tag on the original will seem steep (to those who remember it)

I think...What was the original price for the original Nintendo DS? Then the prices for the DSlite and, DSi once they were released?

There was a point up there somewhere but I lost it...I need more coffee.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
With the money that I'm not going to use on a 3DS I'll buy a new graphics card, another hard disc, windows 7, and a bunch of games. The 3DS is too expensive :/

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I voted other. I find the price fair for what is offered at launch however as a university student I won't be investing in one any time soon until the price drops drastically.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Frankly, I don't give a nut about the 3DS. It's a gimmick, that's all. It'll get sales from the gimmick crowds and whiny children buggering their parents, but after that...they have a questionable future.

Or maybe this is just my general skeptism of 3D stuff speaking.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
It's cheaper than I expected... Still too expensive for me to get, since I'm starting Uni this year. However, considering the hardware, and already the game library for it is shaping up to be pretty impressive, I would say it's well worth it, and I'll be getting one at the first opportunity. Of course, games will still be few and far between... But I suppose backwards compatibility makes up for that. It'll be nice to play DS games with a calibrated touch screen again.
Yeah, it's the price of a Wii... With better hardware. Yup. I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
As a stingy ***** I do think that the pricing on the 3DS is a bit on the expensive side, but then I don't really know what the system can do so I can't yet say whether or not it's worth it. I'll be getting one anyway though so give me one more month...

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I'm quite happy with my current DS. Don't get me wrong, if the 3DS was about £150, I would consider it but at the current price, I'll pass.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I think it might be a smidge too expensive. I get that the technology pushes the price to that, but it really does seem a little too expensive to me.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Hell yes it's too damn expensive. 250? for a friggin toy? I know it's high tech but too much is too much.