Question of the Day, January 27, 2011

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
Brink looks to be a cult game. None of my friends knew anything about it until I told them about it. Then after they saw the trailer they tell me it looks amazing.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Rage and Skyrim are the only ones I know anything about and after seeing videos and talk about Rage, I am really excited to see how it plays out.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I'm gonna say Brink, Elder Scrolls is nice and all but I've seen the Brink trailers and I think it will be a gem.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Brink, but it seems most people want Skyrim. I was wrong and I admit that.

This is taken from a post on Brink forums: I don't get why people want it though. TES tries to go for immersion first and foremost, but the tendency of everyone to simply stop when you are talking, combined with recycled voice actors used across dozens of NPC's within the Oblivion franchise, tends to hurt immersion. If they really wanted immersion, everyone would keep walking around while you talked, and every character would have a different voice actor. On top of which, previous Elder Scroll games, at least Oblivion, had a really complex, difficult to understand character builder.

What really annoyed me in Oblivion is how everything leveled with you- even rats- meaning that leveling up didn't really have much value. There isn't much point to leveling up how good you are at swordsmanship if everyone else on the planet automatically becomes every bit as good as you are. It removes the very point of leveling up. You don't need to become high level to defeat enemies, because their level is determined by yours, and you can't stomp enemies who use to trouble you either-because their level is dependent on yours. It removes any real advantage or need for leveling. Of course, you could still become crazy overpowered, but that was largely from your gear. It was really your shiny bling armor killing your enemies, not you.

Last but not least, the very nature of this leveling mechanic was that the overall power of a weapon was determined by when you got it- the sooner you got it, the weaker it was, the later you got it, the more powerful it was. This meant that your favorite weapon in the game would be only worth a damn end game if you played most of the game before getting it. It also meant that if you got it too soon it would become worthless. This meant that you needed a strategy guide to avoid accidentally getting your favorite weapon early and rendering it worthless. I played as a Nord. I wanted to be a Frost Barbarian. I would up getting a Frost Sword early, and consequently, rendering my favorite weapon in the game useless for the end game.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Rage looks good, but I have a problem with id's art style - I never liked the doom3 and quake4 art. I don't know what it is - its like the environment is made of clay or something.

Brink looks promising too, but I still picked TESV.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
What is a "Hunted" and what does it do?

OT: Rage, honestly, but only because I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, but I'll probably check out Skyrim.

On the other hand, i grew up playing Doom 2, so yeah.....Rage. Come on id, you guys invented the fucking genre, make this a good one!

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
It has to be Skyrim for me. Ever since it was announced I've became re-addicted to Oblivion. Novemer can't come soon enough!