Question of the Day, January 27, 2011

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
s69-5 said:
RelexCryo said:
What really annoyed me in Oblivion is how everything leveled with you- even rats- meaning that leveling up didn't really have much value. There isn't much point to leveling up how good you are at swordsmanship if everyone else on the planet automatically becomes every bit as good as you are. It removes the very point of leveling up. You don't need to become high level to defeat enemies, because their level is determined by yours, and you can't stomp enemies who use to trouble you either-because their level is dependent on yours. It removes any real advantage or need for leveling. Of course, you could still become crazy overpowered, but that was largely from your gear. It was really your shiny bling armor killing your enemies, not you.
Unless you... you know... leveled yourself properly. My max stat level 32 Breton is a god compared to any of the puny monsters, scaled or not. What matters is putting your 5 points into multiple stats at every level. I tend to wear Ebony gear, even though it is less powerful - I like the look. My Breton is so powerful, she can just roll like that.

Last but not least, the very nature of this leveling mechanic was that the overall power of a weapon was determined by when you got it- the sooner you got it, the weaker it was, the later you got it, the more powerful it was. This meant that your favorite weapon in the game would be only worth a damn end game if you played most of the game before getting it. It also meant that if you got it too soon it would become worthless. This meant that you needed a strategy guide to avoid accidentally getting your favorite weapon early and rendering it worthless. I played as a Nord. I wanted to be a Frost Barbarian. I would up getting a Frost Sword early, and consequently, rendering my favorite weapon in the game useless for the end game.
Or you could just train yourself at first (controlled conditions make for better leveling).
A) Bretons, as I recall, are notoriously overpowered

B) Leveling under controlled conditions is a perfect example of metagame thinking, which tends to interfere with immersion.