Question of the Day, July 15, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, July 15, 2010

Researchers have found that playing violent videogames relieves stress and depression. What do you think?

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I noticed a long time ago that when I was left to my own devices with nothing to distract me (IE video games) I'm at my worst.

I feel sad, miserable, depressed, weak, and overall a failure (Which I kind of am).

But then I start playing Team Fortress 2 and kill all the leetle babies and all is well.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Videogames make me focus on something and not my own issues.

Plus, ya know... Having Fun = Not Terribly Depressed

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Not always, but there have been times where playing a game would lighten my mood.

Examples:
1) While being a little depressed I once started Unreal Tournament 2004. After scoring a few kills with the flak cannon, I was too excited to feel sad!
2) After getting dumped by a girl I felt like destroying something. So I did! I launched Supreme Commander and choose for the 4 island setup VS 1 easy enemy. I made a few air factories and made a total of 200 tier 1 bombers. The carnage was AWESOME! Still felt shit afterwards, but it did ease the pain a bit!

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I still remember putting in Harvest Moon 64 on 9/11 because the news was getting too much for me. Granted, I was in Jr. High.

But most definitely, I play video games in order to relax, escape, or laugh.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I demand the option 'Yes, but I have too much stress/ depression for it to be entirely removed by video games.'

*EDIT* Also, I want the option 'Yes, but not has much has the escapist.'

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Almost exclusively. It might not be why I started playing them but it's certainly why I do now. Only people that do or have done it can ever understand the burden of stress and responsibility that raising a child and maintaining a roof for them is.

If I didn't have my games I'd probably asplode.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Yep, obviously. Videogames are fun. Fun relieves stress. T'aint rocket science chaps.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
No option for "I don't get stressed or depressed"?

I picked yes, since gaming lightens my mood. I therefore assume that if I were depressed it might help.

dark_taint92

That's Cap'n Taint to you
Jan 26, 2009
I voted yes because games allow me to murder people in fun and imaginative ways :). Also helps with break up's to god I love videogames :D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Generally, if I am playing them, and in a bad mood. Ill just get into the game and forget anything else...so yeah

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Mostly it doesn't fix with my depression since I usually feel too depressed to play games, but in terms of stress, I'd say it does. At least when I was growing up and dealing with problems with other kids, I could go home and deal with my stress by playing video games. Especially more violent games where I could be the guy making other people hurt, as opposed to real life when it was other people that was making sure I got hurt. As I managed to get out of that hole and the amount of stressed induced by other people have decreased, My once strictly-violent game collection has expanded into other games. Sure I still love being able to kill people, but I'm also happy and I also enjoy other games like more RPG-like games and, well, other games that can't really be considered violent (e.g. Heavy Rain).

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I don't suffer depression, but video games are definitely great stress release.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I typically forget about my problems when brutally murdering someone virtually, so yeah I agree, totally.