Question of the Day, July 22, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, July 22, 2010

Maxis unveiled a new game during the EA Showcase - it's a mix of Spore and Diablo, called Darkspore. It's a sci-fi dungeon crawler where players can collect body parts from fallen foes to aid in creature creation. Are you interested in this game at all? Why or why not?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
It is way too early to tell about Darkspore right now.

We know virtually nothing about the game, all we've had is a teaser trailer and a few screenshots... so I can't really make any valid judgement at this point.

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
Well, it's certainly a creative idea. The dungeon crawler aspect will most likely get rid of everything wrong with the pacing of the original Spore, but they might well put too much emphasis on a certain part of the game again, essentially falling into the same trap. I'm thinking they'll probably perfect the gimmick and neglect decent level design or storytelling.

Not much of a fan of the name Darkspore. It reminds me of a "dark and gritty" reboot. Yawn.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I'd say no, but thats because I'm not a fan of Diablo clones rather then Spore.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
I want screenshots, videos, reviews and explanations before I'll commit to getting this. Darkspore sounds retarded, but, hey, if it's good enough, I'll ignore that.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The premise is intriguing to say the least, but then again so was the premise of Spore. Sim games (and games from Maxis in general) aren't my cup of tea.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Spore , while it had creature creation, has mind-numblingly short and boring for me. The character creation was great, but I could only create so many twisted creatures before saying to hell with it...

I shall not hold out for Darkspore, but we can hope it's good

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
If it has the same playstyle as the ... world of warcraft ripoff phase (can't even remember what the game called it) then hell fucking no. Hell, if they even look similar I'm out.

And if its a spore expansion pack, triple fuck it.

Nov 7, 2009
This actually has the potential to be my favourite game of all time. Spore's problem was that it tried to be 5 games at once and did all of them below average. Concentrating on just RPG, with that amazing creation engine behind it should be fantastic.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
If it's a Maxis production then probably not. It would have to be deep for this concept to work, not paperthin like Spore.
Dormin111 said:
This sounds an awful lot like the RTS, Impossible Creatures, where the player custom builds an army by combinging animals.
I fucking loved that game.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
After Spores massive letdown, I'll be waiting a while before I pick this up.

Otherwise I'd be all over it.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Hmm i voted before actually going to youtube to see the gameplay demo... What can i say, i like to vote! But im pretty underwhelmed with the gameplay, it was short though so ill wait before i pass judgment yet. But why don't you just stick at simulation games Maxis, its what you do best and its a dead genre. :(

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really liked spore, specifically the creature creation section.

As for Darkspore, I want to see more information but im optomisitic!