Question of the Day, July 27, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, July 27, 2010

This week, John Funk discusses grinding [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/7904-View-From-the-Road-An-Axe-to-Grind-Part-1] - what it is, what it's for, why we do it. What do you think? Do you like the grind?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I don't really care for grinding. In fact, I'm the type of guy who avoids the grass in Pokemon, and tries to make it out of the sight of other trainers. Don't really know why, I mean, it's kind of like avoiding more playtime. Which is silly when you're paying for the game.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
As opposed to the three people (and the ninja Pimppeter2) above me, I do play the occasional MMO, and my god, do I hate grinding...

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
There's a limit. And If it's just pressing the same button over and over again for hours with little skill involved I tend to get fed up and leave.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I used to play WOW, after I realised I had spent several months playing a game almost has boring has real life I stopped.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I enjoy grinding as a way to relax in an MMO, but if that is all the game offers, we have some problems.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
I don't mind grinding up the levels. It gets boring AFTER you run out of new grind content and you start grinding the EXACT same quest over and over. On the other hand, if ya want the nice shinies you have to do it.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Mr. Funks article discusses grinding with itself, and he never asks himself anything but questions that support his initial premise.

Ulminati

Mar 23, 2010
I noticed "Yes, it's a quick wsay to level" was amongt the possible answers, but at the time of writing it doesn't show up on the results. Bug, or doesn't anyone think grindng is a quick way to level at all?

Personally, I loathe grinding. That said, back in te days of WoW, I did grind herbs in northrend for gold rather than mobs for XP. And fire elementals at the hodir forge thingmabob for eternal fires for the AH was one of the quickest ways to earn gold for a fast flying mount.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I have alot more patience for grinding than doing something tedious in real life. I spent 3 weeks grinfing for Nether Drakes in World of Warcraft. So ya I sorta like griding, ONCE. Doing it a second time is something that fills me with dispare.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
As long as there is something good on TV or I have a movie or two to watch, I really don't mind. In fact I find it to be a very relaxing way to play a game sometimes.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
For me it depends on the game and how much variance there is in the grinding. Some games, I'll grind for hours and not mind. Others, I get bored quick and lose any care or interest. I don't really play MMOs though, so I'm more referring to RPGs

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I like variety and options, something that seems to be lacking in todays MMOs.