Question of the Day, July 28, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, July 28, 2010

Greg Tito's column this week deals with tabletop gaming player profile types, and how best to resolve conflicts during a game session. What kind of DnD player are you?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Woot! Another Instigator.

I would have chosen instigator, but I do love exploring, and I don't JUST take risks... Ah, the olden days

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am not a DnD player but if I were then I'd probably say an Instigator: Depending on how immersed I was I'd just have fun provoking the NPC's and seeing what I could get away with.

If I were really into it however I'd be a 'Thinker'.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Slayer's the closest to me, though instead of killing everything I just prefer to be in combat over not being in combat.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
There's a word that we use for what you call "power gamer"s in the RPG world, it's called munchkin. I find it sad when some one is trying to "win" a PnP RPG, totally missing the point.

Mar 30, 2010
My style of play is definitely that of an Instigator, although in my group we have two Power Gamers, two Slayers, and a Watcher as well. I really don't envy our GM in the slightest.

Jun 26, 2009
GAAAAAAAAHAH!
Damm you for making wish I could find somone to play DnD with!
I want to try it but everybody around the area where I live says it's sad.
I just want to try it!
[/annoyed]
OT: I'd probably be a storyteller or Actor.
But I'm going for actor.
RP rules my freinds, RP rules.

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
I'm more of a cross of Explorer/Instigator, but I'm more of an instigator, so I went with that.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
I love killing things in DnD, but I like having the ability to use tactics and figure them out before we go through and start the combat.

But it's just no fun without story.

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
Part thinker, part storyteller. Love to solve problems and I'm in for a good story.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've never really played DnD, but if I did, I'd be the Watcher, AKA making jokes and weird situations.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I think it would be interesting to compare how a player first became involved with DnD with the type of player they are - my hypothesis is that (in general) if someone moves from fantasy literature to role-playing, they become storytellers or actors (maybe explorers); if they move from board/card/video games to PnP role-playing, they become power-gamers or slayers; if they are drafted into role-playing by friends, they become watchers or instigators.

It's not a complete theory - and exceptions would be rampant - but I suspect the tendencies would prove statistically significant.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Even though I haven't been playing for a long time, and I chose to quit because it ended up being too much paper work, I consider myself a Watcher. Just being around friends was a treat.