Question of the Day, June 12, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, June 12, 2010

Capcom plans to feature Playboybackground advertisements in its upcoming game Dead Rising 2. Do you think that real-world advertisements belong in a game?

Nov 7, 2009
When it's done well, it could be a good immersion builder.

But if it's just blatant in-your-face advertising with no connection to the plot or game world, it's utterly awful.

Benj17

Mar 10, 2009
I remember seeing x-men origins in burnout paradise

i was quite blown in the mind

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
No. If there is a place for fake advertising, such as billboards to create verisimilitude in a city-based game, let the developers be creative and make some clever spoof ads. Why shold ads invade my gametime? They already pervade everything else.

I can see the appeal for developers trying to attract more funding. However, I think it would seriously impact upon my enjoyment of, and immersion in, games.

Please no advertsing!

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
UnableToThinkOfName said:
When it's done well, it could be a good immersion builder.

But if it's just blatant in-your-face advertising with no connection to the plot or game world, it's utterly awful.
Well thats pretty much what I was gonna say... Sometimes it can add a bit of humour too. Like what I've seen from MGS: Peace Walker.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I honestly couldn't care at all so I guess yes. But I clicked yes and it counted as no. Fucking broken polls.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The only time I had a huge problem with it was when in Alan Wake I turned on a tv only to see an ad for Verizon that had been following me whenever I went to my local mall... in the middle of being chased by the dark presence. It kinda ruined the moment.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
If you are running through a city that is supposed to replicate a real city full of advertisements, why shouldn't there be billboards and real stores, and real products sold, instead of Gang Kola and Budweiner. As long as it fits, I think it's a good thing.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
If they were well implemented, then I don't see why not. I don't want to have to sit through adverts when I want to play or during loading screens though. It's fine in games like Battlefield where there are billboards dotted around with adverts on them.

TheGamerist

Jun 2, 2010
Its good because it adds a sense of realism within the game, however I don't tend to notice them

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I saw an ad for Observe and Repot in Saints Row 2.

All depends on how well it's integrated.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
RaphaelsRedemption said:
No. If there is a place for fake advertising, such as billboards to create verisimilitude in a city-based game, let the developers be creative and make some clever spoof ads. Why shold ads invade my gametime? They already pervade everything else.

I can see the appeal for developers trying to attract more funding. However, I think it would seriously impact upon my enjoyment of, and immersion in, games.

Please no advertsing!
How would it negatively impact immersion? If anything, it should impact positively!

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Well it works in games that feature big cities.They just slap the advertisement on a billboard within the game,and voila.
But if they go out of their way to advertise something.Then they're doing it wrong.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Most of the time i would say no, but there is a few exceptions, if something fit in PERFECT its actually kinda funny, like a a mr. burns add in a fallout game (i dont know any real nuclear companies) but other than that, no, with all the DRM i already feel like i only rent a game when i buy it, and if they throw in adds i just feel molested.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
As much as I particularly don't like them in there, saying that they don't belong would be akin to saying that product placement doesn't belong in movies. Most don't like it, but we all accept it as a fact of life. Soon it'll be this way for games as well.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont think they belong, they will always be there because its media...but, I dont play a game to see what the latest awesome medical pill is for enlargement ect...