Question of the Day, June 30, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, June 30, 2010

This week's Check for Traps column is all about GMing at Gen Con, the big tabletop gaming convention held in honor of Gary Gygax. Greg Tito and others GM'd games 14 hours a day for four days straight. Have you ever been a GM? What were your experiences like?

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've never played a tabletop game. I've played board games but that doesn't count :)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I've been GMing Table Top games since Junior High and even though I've never had a "successful" campaign I still enjoy it.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Where's the "yes, once or twice" option. I'd hardly call my scarce attempts "many times".

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
A couple of my friends have been trying to get me into D&D for a while now. I don't think I have the patience to play it, let alone be a GM.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
I'm in three games but haven't GM'd one yet, wouldn't mind trying though i figure i would fuck it up royally

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I've never even played a tabletop game, but if I did then I doubt I would want to be the GM... I might at some point though, but being the GM would be too stressful... I'm not creative enough.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Been GMing for the last two decades and still going strong. Run many campaigns for many different systems and settings. I love it when my players tell me they can't wait until the next game and I always ensure they are happy within the game itself. If the players aren't having fun then neither am I, as it's a sure sign I'm running it wrong.

Nyrad01

Nov 25, 2009
I used to DM most of the time for my Dungeons and Dragons group, although just now I'm trying being a player for a bit :p

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Yes. I've DM'd Werewolf the Wild West and World of Darkness.

Dragon Age is on my list for later.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I tried being a DM a few times, most of them sucked, but the last one was pretty nice, at least i liked it. The last story i created, we once started playing midday and ended the game the next morning.That was tiresome indeed. But ofcourse we did some stops, like 30 minutes or so that someone could go and buy some chips or soda. The next morning i had talked so much that my throat was sore and it was hard to speak at all. But it was fun nonetheless. But from my experiences, the worst enemies of a DM are attention-demanding things, like laptops or PCs, those ruined several moments.

But all in all, being a DM is fun.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I have never played a Tabletop game in the manner which you speak, but I have GM'd the Digimon RP of which I am a main character.

Renamon and myself, we're unstoppable.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
I haven't played a tabletop game but would love to try if I could find some people to play with.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Yes - many times. I was the default DM for various groups of D&D players for about 15 years total (on-and-off from the mid-1980s to the 2000s and currently on hiatus; although I am DM'ing my wife and two sons, so maybe not).