Question of the Day, March 16, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, March 16, 2010

Which of the three Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver starter Pokemon will you be taking on your journey?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Now that they follow you around. I HAD to choose Chikorita.

The other starters are better, but Meganium is still cute.

Feraligatr and Typlosion are just too damn ugly.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I'm taking Cyndaquil because otherwise it can take ages to get a fire pokemon. Water you can use Garydos(sp?) and for grass moves I always use Butterfree.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I picked Cyndaquil. Why? Well, quasi-long story. Totodile is definately my favorite of the HG/SS starters (if only because Feraligatr is badass), but there are a multitude of great water types around. Chikorita (and by association its evolved forms, Bayleef and Meganium) are nice and all, but their move sets are, well, boring. That and both of them are relatively slow without any real standout attacks. Cyndaquil, and by association Quilava and Typlosion, gets some interesting moves, both standard and TMs and is pretty quick and fire types aren't too easy to come by in the early game.

TL:DR version - Cyndaquil and evolved forms are the best at high levels.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Am I reading that right? "Cyndaquil?" Cyanide and NyQuil?
...I can't tell if that's sad or awesome.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
In this game? Has to be Totodile.

I remember back when I had silver I pretty much completed the game with him exclusively (with a few more staller pokemon so I could heal him!).
Then I used the clone trick and had dozens of level 100 feraligatrs! XD

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Cyndaquil. I think I took him along for the ride in the original too. I still need to buy my DS like lol. DS lite FTW! Heading down to my local GAME on friday (which just happens to be payday) to pick one up then preorder HeartGold ready for next friday. I should really be saving up for college in september but meh, only live once lol.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Cyndaquile for me...love the flame pokemons.

Plus, I think out of all the beginning one looks the best!

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Chikorita. I always go for Grass, makes those first couple of gyms an absolute cakewalk.

Murderlicous

Mar 10, 2010
Totodile. Yesterday my older brother, some friends, and I all picked up copies and I kicked my brother's Cyndaquill's ass! Though that wasn't very hard to do, hes never beaten me.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Cyndaquil

Because the "kill it with fire" rule applies as much as possible.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Cyndaquil

It takes forever to actually find fire types, so it makes your life easier considering your first enemies are usually grass and bug type. I usually ditch my starter later, though.

It's funny how the fire starter is usually the one people pick, no matter the pokemon generation. Just an observation.

(Is this just a carry-over from the sheer badassery of Charizard?)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Cyndaquil, because Typhlosion is the most badass Pokemon ever, don't'cha know?

Plus, he's a frikkin' beast. I can always count on him to Flame Wheel me out of any tight corners.