Question of the Day, March 18, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, March 18, 2010

Age gates are, theoretically, supposed to make sure you're old enough to view certain material. Do you put your real birthday into age gates?

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
If you're asking about age gates into forums, well, I just happened to register to one such and I did put my real birth date there. I figure that on the off chance I start to visit a forum regularly, it might be good to have my real data there, in case someone decides to PM me.

If you're asking about age gates into various "mature" videos and "mature" gaming sites, then oh hell no, I loathe those, and always put in a stupid date like the 1st of Jan 1920.

also: First post! =P

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I put my real age in but I'm also 29, why would I lie? It is a stupid system though, whoever thought it up must be really special.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Galad said:
If you're asking about age gates into various "mature" videos and "mature" gaming sites, then oh hell no, I loathe those, and always put in a stupid date like the 1st of Jan 1920.
Yeah for those I typically just put in like 1/1/1990. No point specifying my own age and having to scroll all the way for each number value.

Apr 28, 2008
Here I do.

But pretty much everywhere else I don't.

I think its stupid. It doesn't stop anyone, and it screws over anyone who accidentally puts in their real birthday.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Yes because i'm 19 and normally that means that everything I want to view, I am old enough for.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
For videos of mature ratings that require it and websites like that, no, why would i want to give that information out regardless (not that someone couldn't easily obtain it anyways, but why bother).

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Im 23, but I dont because 1,1,1990 is sooo much quicker to enter and its a pointless system anyway

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Well yes ofc.
I'm 22 so I don't think there's any content on the interwebs that's blocked to me due to my age.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
I put my real age when you have to type it, or if i am registering for a site. However, if it is a drop-down box, like to watch a video, I only change the year (i.e. Jan 1, _____).

I am 19, and am old enough to view any content on the web, so, since the real age does not matter, I don;t want to take the time to Select the month, then the date, then the year.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
crotalidian said:
Im 23, but I dont because 1,1,1990 is sooo much quicker to enter and its a pointless system anyway
And dragging the scrollbar to the bottom is easier still ;P

pignoli

Oct 27, 2009
No - just through laziness. Just scrolling and randomly clicking the year column is easiest and makes not a blind bit of difference. I'm actually kind of surprised that 'No' thus far the least popular option.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
I absolutely do. Not only because I'm old enough to have access to anything, but since I'm born on January 1st, it's always so damn easy and quick!

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
I'm old enough but its too much effort to put in my real age so i just click the first day/month i can find and any year before 1990