Question of the Day, March 18, 2010

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I said sometimes, and here's why; I was born late into my year, and my year is getting further and further down the drop-down list. Sometimes I have the patience to sift through the bottom of these dates, and sometimes I report that I'm born Jan 1st, some year close to mine. Just to skip passed that crap, and go on to my data.

One time, I accidently said "OK" to birth year 2009, and the site locked me out. So, I'm kosher with skipping out on my real birth year.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
I usually do, but sometimes it's easier not to.

Besides, what's the point? If it's supposed to keep me from seeing things I shouldn't see, it doesn't do a very good job of it. I can easily lie, and if I find I haven't entered the right age, it's trivial to try again. As a user, I just find these a hindrance, especially when I'm forced to fill them in multiple times as I navigate from page to page.

Bad Company 2's website is at least a bit better than most: rather than ask for your date of birth, just enter your age. 3 key presses and you're done. Sure, it's still pointless, but it's a lot better than navigating through a bunch of large drop-down menus.

Seriously, we have to stop expecting companies to act as parents. It shouldn't be up to EA or GameTrailers to keep kids away from things their parents wouldn't approve of -- it's completely out of their control. They can't tell a kid's age, nor do they have a clue what their parents would find acceptable. Let parents be parents and supervise their children. Better yet, let kids do what they always do and find out what real life is like for themselves. Parents never successfully kept their kids from drinking, having sex, and staying out late at night no matter how hard they tried. We all learned the same way and most of us came out alright.

I would love a Firefox plugin to skip age gates.

ScorpionClaw

Apr 1, 2009
Sometimes, sites where it might be important (Such as setting up a profile) then usually. Sites where I have to 'prove' my birthdate to be old enough to view stuff or access the site then no - I go with 1/1/80, not because I'm too young (I wish!), but because they are sites that I am ulikely to revisit and the rebel in me likes to think that I'm messing with their user profiling :)