Question of the Day, March 20, 2010

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I enjoyed the sex scene in Heavy Rain. After all the pain and suffering, an act of celebrating life was healing, and beautiful to me.

May 6, 2009
I didn't realize that waiting until you're suddenly good enough to do something is the way to do it. My impression was that in any human endeavour multiple successive attempts allowed people to refine their approach and hone their skills.

Nobody should practice football until his team is ready for the World Cup. Who agrees with me?

axle 19

Bearer of the Necronomicon
Aug 2, 2008
They shouldn't add them into the game unless they are a part of the story as a whole. Also they need to get the visual better in order to not make them awkward or creepy.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
They don't bother me at all. If people feel disgusted because programmed animations are doing what real humans do they can just skip the cut-scene or not do the romance subplot.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Sex scenes in games just creep me out. Sex itself is fine, it builds character and creates immersion. But that doesn't mean you actually have to show it, and nothing is more awkward than watching a couple of dolls rub up against one another.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
AvsJoe said:
Are you saying that they should take the Fable approach or the GTA hooker approach?
Well, it certainly would be an easy way to dodge "the valley".

"Oh, Shepard!"

That's all you need, no akward posing, just "oh, Shepard" and you know what's going on... roughly.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Hang about, there is a double standard here. People are complaining about how they don't want sex scenes in a game unless they are well written into the story and have a proper meaning. The same mentality is not taken in regards to scenes of violence or action though - there doesn't have to be any justification for it; as long as it looks cool enough, people don't tend to care. Well, why can't the same be for sex scenes?

The question is about realism and arousal factor of sex scenes, and less about the role they play in a story. As far as I see it, if they can make a sex scene in a game sexy, why not? Like action scenes, it only needs to achieve what it attempts to do (be cool, be arousing etc.) to become acceptable. That is the case in movies, anyway.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
dunno what you're talking about, the sex scenes both in ME and in DA:O were pretty good, both in terms of building up the relationship to them(with the exception of Leliana) and in the actual animation.

Besides, I find this poll quite irrelevant. Love them or hate them, sex scenes are bound to arouse attention and attention leads to sales. Therefore, if there's a romantic interest plotline in a game story, and a sex scene wouldn't go against the game story's spirit, then the sex scene is bound to happen regardless of what we'd think of it.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Sex done well = The Witcher

That said, I am generally positive towards sex in games in general. Love and sex are some of the greatest motivators mankind has for doing... well, anything, and should thus be an equally natural part of the story telling as everything else. To exclude such as integral part of the human psyche from any story is sad at best and irresponsible at worst. Honestly, it is about time that this subject stopped getting so ridiculous amounts of attention.

Sex is important and should never be excluded for stupid reasons such as graphical complexity and politics. The end.