Question of the Day, March 4, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, March 4, 2010

Between animation and voice acting, a lot of effort can go into a cutscene. Do you sit back and enjoy the show, or skip ahead?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
If it is my first time playing through the game, I will watch every cutscene.
After that, I tend to watch them unless I want to get back to playing.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
It depends on the game. If I'm interested in the story, sure. If it's incredibly stupid and I don't want to listen to it, I skip.

Like Bayonetta for example.

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
I always watch cutscenes, mainly because I enjoy studying the effort that is put into it, especially on the pre-rendered ones.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
On my first time playing a game I always watch every cutscene, mostly I watch them on playthroughs after that too, unless they're really boring.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I usually try to. On replays, not all the time (unless I REALLY love the game and haven't memorized what's about to happen, or just want to play)

I usually WANT to get into the story, but in some games I just can't stand it, and just want to play. This is why I'm afraid to start Devil May Cry 4, just like Bayonetta (I know that's playing them in opposite order of release), the cutscenes in DM4 I've heard are like Bay, and you watch awesome fights thinking, "I wish I could be having this much fun"

Cutscenes in games like God of War I think are the best, sure you can't skip them, but their tale is epic enough for me to WANT to watch them. RE4 lost it's charm after about the 7th time. It depends on the content, since cutscenes should explain the story, not play the game for you.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
If they are more than 20 seconds long and not incredibly entertaining then I am tempted to skip. Subtitles on dialogue are great for story for me if I can speed read the text and skip most of the voice acting.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Nearly always all the way through, even on multiple play throughs. Of metal gear solid. The only times in games i've been pushed to skipping was the whole crappy rose-jack relationship boringness in Metal gear solid 2, and Drebin's long, long stories about the B&B unit when you kill them in the last one. *yawns*

In any other game I never skip though.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
On the very first go around of the game i will watch the cutscenes...to get a heads-up on the story. If i'm going through a second time or having repeat levels over and over i will skip them

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
If it is my first time playing through the game, I will watch every cutscene.
After that, I tend to watch them unless I want to get back to playing.
Pretty much this. I always want to snag all the exposition the first time through.

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
I'm more concentrated on the game play than I once was. Still, I just don't wanna miss anything that's so important they've made a cutscene out of it.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Cutscenes are the reason I went to college! so yes I have now and always will watch them the whole way through, even if I have seen them many times before

-M

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Always. I never skip them unless I've seen them countless times before and am bored of them. If they haven't gotten old for me yet, then given the choice to skip them, I'll still watch them through. The Halo games have some pretty good cutscenes, and Final Fantasy just has some amazing stuff in the cutscenes that make you want to watch them all the way through regardless of how many times you've played the game before. I love my snazzy CGI scenes :D.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Most of the time, but sometimes I just could not handle it. That was the case with MGS4.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Only the first time through though...nothing more annoying than playing through a game the second or third time when it has unskippable cut-scenes...looking at you Dante's Inferno...ALL cut-scenes should have the double tap triangle (or exc or Y) to get past it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I always watch cutscenes. Even when the story/acting/whatever is absolutely terrible, it's rare that I skip a cutscene.