Question of the Day, March 4, 2010

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I allways watch them as a rule... well I do make an exception if something is so soul-wrenchingly bad I would feel like getting dumber from merly sitting through it. But that's not not all that often so I voted for option 1.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
First playthrough always, and I love it when the pause-menu for a cutscene has the options to not only Continue cutscene and Skip cutscene, but also to Replay cutscene. All it takes is one housemate or parent to interrupt and you can miss key plot or information! I also like "movie players" that are built into a lot of games, that let you review any already-seen scene. Good examples of this are Psychonauts, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

On the replay, I tend to skip quite a few. Bayonetta gets an equal mix of "watch" and "skip" from me now I've played it through twice.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
If it's the first time I'm playing it, then yeah. Especially if I know the cut scenes have information for me to understand the story better. After the first time, I just fast forward through them to go back into gameplay.

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
when i first start and i know story is important, i always pay attention. but when it's something like a spider-man game? skip!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Always, with two exceptions. Exception one: if cutscene in question sucks. Exception two: if i saw that cutscene a dozen times over in the last 30 minutes.

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
If it is my first time playing through the game, I will watch every cutscene.
After that, I tend to watch them unless I want to get back to playing.
This pretty much covers my opinion of the matter. Apart from a certain cutscene at the end of the original KotOR, which I watch with proverbial tears in my eyes every time I play the game.

Malak is dead! All hail the return of Darth Revan, the true Lord of the Sith!

j1-2themax

Jun 30, 2008
First time through a game, I will always at least make an attempt to watch the entire cutscene. On subsequent playthroughs, I only watch them if I haven't played the game in a long time or I find one scene in particular very entertaining.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Nearly always, unless I've already seen it. I want even the crappiest story to have some essecnce of story, after all.

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
I see most haven't played MGS 2! if you can get though that entire game with out skipping one bit of dialog then you have my upmost respect!

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
On my first playthrough, yes.

After that only if they were short, particularly interesting or I forgot what happened in them.

Cinnonym

Mar 3, 2010
I always watch the cutscenes. The only time I hate them is when I've watched them five times because I keep dying at the fight directly after.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I certainly do. I mean, they are there to tell the story!

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Depends, the first time i play a game i watch them. The other times... or if the cutscenes are pointless fillers that just prevent me from playing then i skip.

Halo3 played it once (and beated it) for example, i skipped them all the very frame they poped up. So i never saw them, ever... and i am happier for it.

But frankly, if games could never have any cutscenes i would prefer it. I hate to lose control of my character just so they show me some CGI animation. Its why i like HL2's method for storytelling, we never drop out of our FPS-view.

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
Most of the time, yes. If the game has them every 2 minutes then I tend to skip them and later turn off the console and play something else (I'm looking at you MGS4... If I want to watch a movie I'll get a DVD.)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The story could be the world's biggest turd...but I always watch them at least the first time. I mean, this was some guys job. He worked on this.