Question of the Day, March 7, 2010

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I have to go with Resident Evil because that is the only game series I have played which have zombies in them which I remember...
Both before and after they went infested peasants :]

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Dead Rising, definitely. They're barely a threat and extremely fun to mow down with whatever weapon is handy.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Where's the "I don't like zombies!!!" option?!

Guess I will have to stick with Other <.<

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
From the list I have to say Left 4 Dead, but I believe that 'real' zombies slowly shuffle about and moan, not run about, leap over stuff and scream, have special abilities, etc.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Survival Crisis Z: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_Crisis_Z

Never played Dead Rising. L4D in my mind isn't really a zombie game, just a game with Zombies. Resident Evil never really clicked with me, far too much unrelated weirdness...

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
L4D, but more because the only Resident Evil I've played for more than 20 minutes was Umbrella Chronicles, and I don't have a 360, so no Dead Rising. Couldn't think of any other zombie games I had besides those... Maybe PvZ?

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
L4D zombies remind me of the 28 Days Later infected. That's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time (if you haven't seen it, go. NOW!). By the transitive property, the L4D zombies are awesome.

It also doesn't hurt that Valve made a badass game to go along with them...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Left 4 Dead, because it established the following facts:

-Zombies are fun to kill.
-It is fun to do stuff with friends.
-Killing zombies is more fun with friends.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I'm a Romero purist. Dead Rising all the way. L4D is fun as hell, and the whole "swarm of rabid Olympic sprinters" thing is terrifying, but it's not what comes to mind when I think "zombie."
Technically, I suppose I should vote for RE - the slow, shambling undead reanimated by a virus, and only de-animated by a headshot (well, in cutscenes, anyway.) But zombies in RE have not only changed drastically in recent iterations, they have always been a dirty, dirty tease. I love classic RE for its excellent zombie apocalypse feel - in the first act. Once it abandons zombies in favour of giant, ridiculous mutant things, it loses me.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
I'm going with Left 4 Dead. I like the variety of the special infected.

I might have voted Resident Evil out of sheer fanboyism, but ever since they switched from the T/G-Virus over to Las Plagas, it's lost its spark for me. The games are still fun, but its less about zombies now and more about crazed people who spontaneously turn into what (to me) appears to be plant monsters.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
Left 4 Dead's my choice considering it's more frantic and actiony, but than again Dead Rising gave you the freedom that you'd probably have IRL if you weren't bricking yourself already. It at least deserves to be above Resident Evil.

Mar 16, 2009
Though Dead Rising was a faithful game to the original, it was awfully boring. I mean the novelty of mowing down endless hordes of enemies wore off quickly. Besides, what's with the glowing red eyes and agressiveness that comes out at night? That doesn't really stick to folklore.
Yes Left 4 Dead changed up the zombie formula, but we have to look at what is "realistic" (where zombies are real) versus what is fun. This follows any game, really. In WWII shooters, sure, you could be in the Russian frontline, pick up a fallen comrade's rifle, and be killed twenty seconds later. However, realism ruins the game. Everyone would rather be a war hero who survived everything from falling back to Stalingrad to the push into Germany.
Same thing with zombies. Eventually, you need a challenge. Dead Rising does this in the way of other humans, and it did it well, but what about people who want a game where the zombies are the challenge and not just cannon fodder? Nazi Zombies answered that, but if you want innovation, you turn to Valve. Sure they were fast and deadly, but they were fast and deadly. It changed from everyone sitting back in their couch watching my determination to kill a zombie with an overstuffed teddy bear (ran out of things to do fast), to everyone on the edge of their seats (split-screen, for the win). L4D was more fun, and the zombies (while unrealistic) were a lot more fun and interesting.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm going with Husks from Mass Effect. They're zombies and you know it.

Anyway, I'm the only one on the Escapist who finds L4D boring and pointless.