Question of the Day, May 1, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, May 1, 2010

Fallout: New Vegas will be the next sequel in the wildly popular series, Fallout. Which version of Fallout is your favorite and why?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well, I have only played Fallout 3 so far, and I thoroughly enjoyed that, so that is my choice.
And I'm trying to get it for PC now as well as 360, so I can get some of those lovely mods...

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Fallout 3 but only because it is the only one I have played. I don't know if I would like the other ones more or not. Still I am looking forward to New Vegas.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Fallout 3. I have a lot of issues with it, but I can see why people like it.

Never bothered playing the originals much, and I even own them. They just feel...dated. Even from a gameplay perspective.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Demented Teddy said:
I don't think "I'm waiting for new vegas" is a valid option as it does not count as a favourite as it couldn't have been played yet and it will stop people from voting for their favourite game.
This.

And Fallout 3 for me.

"BUT IT'S NOT TRUE TO THE FALLOUT SPIRIT BLABARFLGASDFH!"
Don't give a shit. It's fun.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Fallout 3. Never played the first two. Looked at them and they didn't really look like my type of game...

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I like Fallout 3 most. While it is true that Fallout 1 and 2 had a great setting, they were really limited by the format they appeared in. The "FPS" engine used in Fallout 3 gave far more freedom to explore and just do random stuff, plus the world seemed much larger: almost everything can be entered, climbed, etc..
Plus everything in Fallout 3 was voice acted, whereas in the older Fallouts only a few key characters were.

By the way, probably a good choice not to include Fallout:Tactics in the poll... I have yet to meet anyone who thinks that was the best Fallout game!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I only played Fallout 3.

Calumon: Setting the world on fire would be bad idea anyway. We don't want Global Warming!

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Fallout 3. I played Fallout and completed Fallout 2 but I was rather late to the party so maybe it was bad graphics that made it harder for me to immerse myself too much... I don't know. Anyway, I got the most enjoyment out of 3rd one.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Fallout 2, i was not crazy about the humor, i actually like 1 and 3s approach to the the wasteland, like you know, it was a bad thing, but fallout 2 had so much you could do and had interesting writing i actually cared what people said and would search the wasteland for just a bit more info, fallout 1 was fun but a bit short, fallout 3 was the most fun to play, but the writing and story was uninteresting.

And fallout 2 had so many options, first of all theres stupid, which is surprisingly fun but more importantly you where free to play like you wanted, i tried playing HtH in fallout 3, bloody hard, even on super easy it was way harder than it was in 1 and 2.

Edit: As of writing I'm the only one who didn't pick fallout 3, i played the originals for the first time in 09, and i really didn't see any problem with the graphics, if your not playing 1 and 2 because your afraid they will be impossible to be immersed in because of the rather dated graphics, I'm here to tell you "worry no more", honestly they are just to much fun to play and to interesting for you to even notice the graphics, i don't say you shouldn't pick fallout 3, all I'm saying is you should play 1 and 2 as well, also they will help you enjoy new vegas even more (i suspect that knowing who NCR is will help you allot), and if for nothing else you can find out what jet is (it will blow your mind).

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Fallout 3 is my favourite...

I picked up Fallout:Collection for the PC last year... And that came with Fallout 1 2 and Tactics (on that note shouldn't tactics be on the poll... I'm sure its someone's favourite). I really liked the 2 games but like most of my PC games, It began to gather dust as I don't usually play games on my PC... But then my brother got Faalout 3 for christmas and It is, to quote peter griffin, friggin sweet. I only started playing it at easter but I have already clocked up a huge amount of time on it...
I never did like oblivion but Fallout3, although similar, is soooo much better... Its so immersive and so many characters are extremely likeable... Theres so much more I could praise the game on but most of you already know how good it is...

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
I've play all of them.

I started with Fallout 3, then I bought the complete set.

Within a day I was back to playing Fallout 3.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Swaki said:
Edit: As of writing I'm the only one who didn't pick fallout 3, i played the originals for the first time in 09, and i really didn't see any problem with the graphics, if your not playing 1 and 2 because your afraid they will be impossible to be immersed in because of the rather dated graphics, I'm here to tell you "worry no more", honestly they are just to much fun to play and to interesting for you to even notice the graphics, i don't say you shouldn't pick fallout 3, all I'm saying is you should play 1 and 2 as well, also they will help you enjoy new vegas even more (i suspect that knowing who NCR is will help you allot), and if for nothing else you can find out what jet is (it will blow your mind).
There are unofficial patches that allow both Fallout 1 and 2 to be run in higher resolutions, so I agree that that should not be the issue. Just look on the Fallout fansites for them. I highly recommend sfall by Timeslip.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Overall, I guess F2 was my favorite, but all of the main Fallout games (and Tactics!) had their share good and bad aspects.

lol at the horde of "herp derp I only played 3 so that's what I'm voting"-people invalidating the poll.

Also, there's not much use in going back now and playing the first two if all you've played is the third, since they're very different games. It's one of the many, many games that were absolutely brilliant in their day but simply don't deliver what the Halo generation expects out of a game. I'd be surprised in many of the F3 kiddies could even stand to play the older games for more than half an hour.

Funny how the rapid development of computers and computer games makes generation gaps appear so much quicker. :p

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
fallout 3 is the favourite for me the other two i did not like so much
but that does not mean i am not waiting for fallout NV