Question of the Day, November 14, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, November 14, 2010

Microsoft's UK marketing boss Stephen McGill says that the publisher will be announcing "hardcore" titles for Kinect [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105258-Microsoft-Announcing-Hardcore-Kinect-Titles-Next-Year] next year. Do you think it can happen?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The right developer can do it, easily. Whether or not it will sell more than a handful of copies is another story.

This all depends on how you define "Hardcore", anyways.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i doubt they will be very good, unless you are in excellent shape you really cant play a kinect game "hardcore" granted with my back i think its hardcore picking something up from the floor, but having a serious playing session that requires you to jump and flail around would be tough even on a gamer in above average shape.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It's possible, but I think it's gonna be really hard. The hardware just isn't suited for it.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
yea well if there is going to be any hardcore games it'll be very few no more than fifteen and that's giving it a lot.
So good luck to it! :]

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I'm not sure, since I'm not a developer, but the fact that Suda 51 is in on this has me excited.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Is it possible? Yes.

Will they do it? No.

Will they try? Yes.

Will they fail spectacularly? Yes.

I mean, everything is possible at this point, but based on what we saw with the Wii, it's just going to be shovelware, with maybe one or two titles that had potential, but would have been better with a normal controller...

How long has the Wii been out? How many games, in total, does it have? Thousands? Maybe dozens of thousands? How many good games does it have for people over the age of 14? 2-3?

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
It depends on the deifnition of "hardcore", but if we take it to mean something along the lines of MW2 or COD, ehhhhhh, it'd be hard to manage.

I don't know. Personally, I found it was sometimes frustrating to play a "hardcore game" on the Wii (Redisdent Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and the Darkside Chronicles) mostly due to controls.

Taking those two as examples, here are the limitations I would imagine that would come up in trying to make a hardcore Kinect game:

-How do I chose movement? Would it be a railroad shooter, as opposed to me chosing the movement by random gestures which are somehow different to the shooting gestures? Or the take-cover-gesture? Or the command-troops gesture?

-Or is it an exploration game like Tomb Raider? The same issues apply with movement control vs action controls. Plus with so many options, it had better be able to differentiate between them.

-I had to sit to play the RE games because they take solid hours of play time to get through fully. I wouldn't play a big "hardcore" title if it means I have to make large gestures constantly to play. Or yell at the screen non-stop.

-Will it be easy to navigate through menus, etc? In a multiplayer match (which most "hardcore" games have) you won't be paused. That means the menus better not be "Paused > Inventory > Weapons > Machine Guns > Ak-47 > Upgrade" with a "wave hand here and wait for 5 seconds to confirm" on each option.
In the RE menus they weren't so bad, bt they weren't that deep and the only things that mattered were the 2 or so weapons you could carry and nothing else. No gem hunting or tool using or questing, etc, so there was nothing more complex to do.

Those are the main issues I can think would possibly come up. Feel free to tell me any more

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Just make very physically intensive games. Change the definition of hardcore so that gamers will have to be good at the game and physically capable of playing the games for long enough to become good at them.

Bam. You've revolutionized gaming.

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
No. You won't be able to play a game with any sort of depth without a control stick or d-pad. And having a controller in your hand while Kinect is on will defeat the purpose. The only thing I can see working is one that only takes advantage of the voice recognition functions of Kinect.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Uh, well that's hard to answer. What makes a game a "hardcore" game?
^This. I don't care whether or not we keep motion controls in games; I just can't wait for EVERYONE to stop using this false dichotomy to categorize games.

OT: Of course you can make a really good or even mind-boggling fantastic game with Kinect, just like you can do so with the Move, the Wii, a Game Gear, or a sheet of paper, three Sorry! pieces, polyhedral die, and a half-eaten carrot. It all comes down to how skilled the developer is in making games and if they have a concept that can thoroughly exploit the strengths and limitations of the system that they are developing for.

TheTejs

Nov 11, 2009
a hardcore game is a game, that required alot of skill and precise actions (My definition)
Precise actions cannot be made in a movement sensor console (Or whatever they are called)
They might be one day, when the technology is better, but for now just try to make hardcore games for the other consoles

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Absolutely. In fact, I have a rather good design document for one coming along nicely at the moment. Just need to find a company that takes submissions or wait (possibly a loooong time) for Kinect to become available to XNA Game Studio indie devs. At the risk of sounding like Peter Molyneux, my design so far will make you feel like magic is real and you are truly powerful. And no, it's not on-rails at all.

chipfizz

Jul 15, 2009
They can if they know what they are doing. I am sure that we all just had an idea about what we would want as a hardcore game. Why couldn't they make it. No reason they just need to work at if for a while. Give them time and only buy the games you want and then the good games will come in the end. Might take a while but it can be done :)

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Are you kidding? There's only one way to hardcore game, and that's sitting down. In your underwear. Covered in Cheetos dust and drinking Mountain Dew at two in the morning. While screaming racial slurs directed at your opponents (whether they be online or off, human or computer).

Okay, all joking aside, it's always possible to make a 'hardcore' game with these sorts of things, but it's all in the execution.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
I don't think people are going to buy into a hardcore title that actually makes your run from point A to Point B. That's what we make our computer selves do!