Question of the Day, November 14, 2010

Balmong7

Apr 9, 2010
I think making them is possible. but integrating the lack of controller would be tough. I mean how would you make an fps or a third person shooter? Almost any kind of violent game requires some kind of object to grip, and most people generally think violence when thinking of "hardcore" game.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Why is there an aim for "hardcore" games specifically? Shouldn't we just be more concerned about making "good" games?

I've seen games with controls and mechanics that would confuse anyone that hasn't been playing games for most of their life, and sucked. I've seen games someone could pick up relatively easily that have been amazing.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a poll so evenly spread on the Escapist. Almost identical percentages across the board.

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
Its possible but... difficult. The hardware just isn't nearly as accurate as a controller right now, and most "hardcore" games require a good degree of coordination and skill (thus the hardcore). A developer would be hard pressed to get that kind of accuracy out of Kinect. Can you imagine something like Super Meat Boy on Kinect? I mean, that would be a HORRIBLE game to give motion to, but its a good example of the kind of accuracy I'm talking about. So... hard but not impossible is my consensus I guess

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I don't think it's a matter of "can" they make one, it's a matter of it being good or not. Cause really, anything's possible, so we'll just have to wait and see what they produce.

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
I think it could be done. My family got one and if done right it could be awesome. For instance in playing dragon age you could just say the spell you want to cast it on whoever is targeted. As long as it is judiciously used and not shoe horned into a game it has so much potential.

coolguy5678

Apr 1, 2010
Anything is possible with time and money. However money = time. So therefore they need money squared if someone wants to make a good hardcore game.
But, of course, money = sqrt(evil). So look to Activision for our next great hardcore Kinect game.

Seriously though? Pure motion controls will almost certainly not work with "hardcore" games (Escapist, I love you for putting that word in quote marks), at least in this generation. Hybrid controls as mentioned earlier could be awesome if done well (used conservatively) and made optional so that people who don't own Kinect can still play it.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I think Kinect could add some interesting stuff to hardcore games, but the controller will always be the mainstay. Some things I thought of that Kinect could add to games: For Rock Band et al, it could sense your pose and make your character stand that same way. Bonus points for doing crazy stuff like holding your guitar behind your head. For fps's, leaning to look around corners. I think it could be integrated in these ways, but a full noncasual game based off the Kinect I don't think would work.

Maldark

Apr 27, 2010
With an original enough concept and excellent execution I'm sure they can. I'm not entirely sure they're willing to take the risk though, pretty sure the Kinect will suffer the same fate as the Wii, being labeled as casual, immediatly detering development of core games.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
The right developer can do it, easily. Whether or not it will sell more than a handful of copies is another story.

This all depends on how you define "Hardcore", anyways.
Shoot, they are using the Playstation move for Metal Gear Rising!! That's pretty damn good in my opinion.. Nothing says fun like slicing up PMC soldiers left and right.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Anything is possible, but the question really is: Does Microsoft want hardcore games for Kinect?
I think if there are hardcore games released for Kinect by 3Q next year, they will be the litmus test on if it really happens. If they bomb, there won't be any more and Kinect will just stay a casual platform/controller. And then it will just fade into just another fad device.
If Microsoft wants a sustainable market on Kinect, all they need to do is license/develop a port to PC for the controller. That will be its big money market without taking away from what it can offer 360.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Using the kinect as the only input device? No, I don't see how any of our current genres would possibly work anywhere near as well as they would on a controller. Kinect+controller, however? Definitely.

Fostaar

Jun 11, 2009
rts would work i reckon. the next command and conquer, just using your hand instead of a mouse. tiring on the shoulder of course, but at least you could sit down!

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Nope, a glorified Eyetoy can never come up with something that could be defined as "hardcore". Perhaps the Move? But I doubt it.

Ensis235

Sep 14, 2010
AngryMongoose said:
Can they? Yes. Will they? No.
I'm gonna have to agree with you 100% man. Look at the Wii. There are some absolutely stellar "hardcore," games. Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes (I was a fan!), and the new Donkey Kong game looks awesome. That being said, they make up such a small percentage of the actual Wii games it's really depressing. I guarantee you some developers out there have awesome ideas on how to use Kinect. But I doubt they will be put into practice as trash like Carnival Games rakes in more money, whereas new, innovative ideas are risky gambles. A pity, really.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Although I answered 'no' I think it is possible, just massively unlikely.

"Hardcore" to my mind just means challenging, and to make a game challenging in a fair way you need precision of control. Most of the time spent playing the games on the Wii is a battle against the control system 95% of the time. Wii Tennis for example, you rarely don't react to a shot but rather can't get the swing to register at the right time.

A generation of technology down the line these things may be able to record an utilise one-to-one movements, until then you can only ever make something 'casual' in gameplay.