Question of the Day, November 23, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, November 23, 2010

Minecraft creator Notch is working on an update to Minecraft that will delete your entire world if you die [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105527-Minecrafts-Hardcore-Mode-Will-Delete-Your-Entire-World]. Between that and games like Diablo II with permanent character death - are "Hardcore" modes for you?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
it really depends, in minecraft i would never even consider it, i think its hardcore enough that you have a good chance of losing all your stuff for ever.

But, in diablo 2 i only played on "hardcore", it made it so much more fun and you had to work together, and the duels are freaking intense.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
More options > less options.

I fail to see how anyone could not want the option to have a greater challenge, all other things being equal. The only objections to a hardcore mode I can think of are: 1) if it's not an optional feature but the only way to play, and 2) if it takes away from development so the rest of the game suffers. The first is pretty rare and the second doesn't seem too likely.

Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, 'Hardcore' modes can be quite fun and add depth to a game. I wouldn't even consider (for example) playing New Vegas without Hardcore enabled. And playing through Reach with such skulls as Iron (No respawn, restart entire mission on player death) enabled adds another level of challenge and depth.

I do have a few issues with 'Hardcore' modes though: First off is the negative connotation implied by the name 'Hardcore'; what's wrong with 'Realism' or 'Challenge' modes? Secondly I believe these modes should stay as modes that can be selected should the player so choose, rather than forcing them upon all players (Roguelike save files for instance, that self deleted upon player death - not for everyone).

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
I don't play hardcore. Call me pussy, but you are what you eat I don't want to have spent all that time and then have to start again. Not really much reward either.
Though if I've already beaten it and want a challenge then I might...never happened yet though >.>

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Yeah.

I tend to find games like Diablo really trivial without it.
I agree. For me, the combination of randomly generated areas plus hardcore mode created great replay value and enjoyment and are a fun challenge.

They're not for every game, and certainly not for every person, but it's a nice option to have available though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's a great way to make you really care about your stat builds.

As my Sorc learned the hard way...

But I'd like it to remain optional.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
I prefer a difficulty mode that does more than just use a cheap gimmick to make the game "harder".

A comparison: Bioshock's harder modes made the enemies do more damage, or made it so there were more of them. This isn't making a game harder, it's just making it more tedious. I have more enemies to kill and I have to be more cautious so I don't immediately die.

Now a game like Diablo II, where enemies gain new powers, or stronger enemies appear sooner, causes one to play differently, rather than just guzzle healing potions hide for several minutes waiting for an opening, and then spam an attack until they all die.

A "hardcore" mode just makes it so that I lose my progress if I die. That means I have an omnipresent fear of losing, ergo, I'm not having fun. It's a rather cheap way of making a game harder, but if all you can do is increase enemies or lower health faster, then it can make for a more exciting challenge.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I suppose in some games it would be better than in others. However I really do not like losing everything I have gained/achieved when playing games.

Case in point when I selected Play as Manager (after my 2nd season) in FIFA11 to my horror my Virtual Pro was no where to be found. I simmed an entire season to see if the option would return and it didn't.

Now I have to play those two seasons all over again and I wasn't happy. At least my Virtual Pro accomplishments are still there.

demoap

Jan 1, 2010
If is Fallout hardcore, bringing new chanengin mechanics and concepts, of course!
But, 'just increase the boss Hp' type, is very boring... hardcore has to be interesting, proposing a different challenge to the player.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I can't game without them. I always set the difficulty available when playing a new game.

I wish there were more games that took the "hardcore" concept and changed the nature of the game all together, as opposed to just stacking mass HP and adding damage.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Sure, I love hardcore modes. I also liked the "minor irritant" mode New Vegas implemented, but that's another story.

That all said, I usually don't play them- but having the option does make the game feel more versatile.

LadyCatra

Princess TLDR
Nov 20, 2009
As long as hardcore and nightmare scale properly. If I just have to sit and hold down the fire key for two minutes to kill one guy, then no. At that point it turns into tedium and isn't an increased skill setting.

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
I don't understand the point of a "hardcore" mode. If you want to play with permanent character death, then when you die in the game, select "New Game" instead of "Load Game". I've been playing "hardcore" mode for years on games that even don't have it as an option.