Question of the Day, October 10, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, October 10, 2010

If you're like any of our colleagues, friends and family, you've been playing Civilization V non-stop since it came out. The Escapist wants to know which wonder is your favorite. Why?

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
The Pyramids! I mean, it's one of the first wonders, and when you build it, you know you just pissed off 6 other people.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
I like the Great Wall of China personally, it surrounds everything with a giant wall and makes it harder for anybody to attack you in your own territory, it's aesthetically pleasing and practical.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
The Pyramids- It's useful to any Civ, it means you can drastically increase your land's productivity by speeding up improvement construction.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
The Kremlin. When you are playing high level games where the AI's will attack you on the slightest movement of your troops, you will need that defensive boost.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
there's no "I don't play Civilization" option? What? There's more or less allways a "I don't play *game*" option on the other polls... =/

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I haven't been able to really play Civ V enough to make a decision based on my knowledge of all the wonders, but if I was to pick one right now, I'd have to go with Stonehenge. You can keep your Pyramids with their silly extra 50% worker production speed; Stonehenge offers an instant +8 to your culture from just as early as the pyramids. Great for getting a good headstart on those policies!

Oh, and The Sydney Opera House is cool too, but that's pretty much just coz I'm Australian.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
Though Stonehenge is nice at the beginning my real favourite is Machu Pichu, both its appearance and bonus.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I dont have V but Ivoted taj mahal from IV, although my favourite is manhatten project, but I dont know if thats in it or not.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
I like Stonehenge, mostly because it keeps building itself underwater, which gives it even more mystery. Also because its only a few miles up the road and going to the Solstice was one of the best nights of my life.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Why is the great wall not in there? I like it because visually it's unique amongst the wonders. The rest of them just sorta sit there, but the great wall blankets your civilisation in a very comforting manner.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Forbidden Palace. If you have even a medium sized empire, this provides more happiness than any of the other happiness wonders. If you have a huge empire, this is a game-changer. I always b-line banking to pick this up ASAP.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Pyramids are damn useful with massive production benefits. If you build them early on you can really get ahead. Forbidden palace is also cool since I generally have large Civs, and tend to conquer enemy capitals which can generate a lot of unhappiness. Forbidden Palace is good to keep my nation from anarchy.

Great wall is cool as well though.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I gotta go with the Great Wall of China cause it helps keep those damn Barbarians. I'll never understand why I play with Raging Barbarians :\

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
The Great Library is always the first one i build so i can grab Civil Service way before any other civ's even get close to medieval era. However my favourite is Angkor Wat for quick cultural expand of territory.

SlyderEST

GfWL hater
Apr 7, 2010
Kavachi said:
The Pyramids! I mean, it's one of the first wonders, and when you build it, you know you just pissed off 6 other people.
CosmicCommander said:
The Pyramids- It's useful to any Civ, it means you can drastically increase your land's productivity by speeding up improvement construction.
I'm quite new to the Civ series so could you tell me how much workers would be best to have? I've only built workers so far if I don't have any other seemingly useful stuff to build.