Question of the Day, October 12, 2010

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Tradition is for weaklings anyway.
The Doctor is a personality not a gender.
And I'd like to remind y'all that tenth was rather flirty with Captain Jack at times, implyng that gender when it comes to romance stuff isn't a barrier for the Doctor.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I'm pretty sure that the Doctor is male and can't change genders but then I'm no expert. How about a Doctor who isn't white? I can see that working much better than the Doctor becoming a woman.

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
When I heard this all I could remember was reading somewhere that The Doctor had once had a wife and children.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
You mean like that really shitty Sarah Jane show?
Yeah, no thanks. It may sound sexist, but the Doctor was always a man and the Sidekick was always a woman. The Doctor turning into a woman would be weird, I don't thing regeneration changes sex.

That said, I wouldn't condemn the idea. The consequences of that happening would be funny. Apprentice fancies doctor, doctor turns into a woman, lol's all around.
The idea of a spin of show like Torchwood, but with another surviving doctor who's a woman wouldn't be too bad an idea.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Well, the concept of the regeneration is that they're still the same person, only with different quirks. On one hand, getting a female one only proves that notion, but on the other hand, it makes it feel less and like the actual Doctor. It makes it quite hard to believe that they still are the same Doctor.

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
No. No no no. NO! Stop that! NO! Why would you do that!?!
I want a male Doctor, end of story. If they experimented with a woman it had to be out of canon. I wouldn't stop watching, but I would be a sad panda. And a angry panda. And you know what angry pandas do? Keep the Doctor male or you'll get mauled in the face!

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Regenerating into a female would bring some weird implications. Setting aside the question of how timelords procreate if they can regenerate into either gender (he was once married and had kids!), it would also bring up the problem that the Doctor was always male typically with a female companion (the platonic sense of the word). If the doctor was female would she have to find a male companion? It would totally switch things around. It could work though. Donna Noble played a really good Metacrisis Hybrid, where she was half timelord, showing its possible to have a female play the part. But would it be alright with the fans. Thats the question.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
ultimateownage said:
You mean like that really shitty Sarah Jane show?
Yeah, no thanks. It may sound sexist, but the Doctor was always a man and the Sidekick was always a woman. The Doctor turning into a woman would be weird, I don't thing regeneration changes sex.

That said, I wouldn't condemn the idea. The consequences of that happening would be funny. Apprentice fancies doctor, doctor turns into a woman, lol's all around.
The idea of a spin of show like Torchwood, but with another surviving doctor who's a woman wouldn't be too bad an idea.
Actually, it does include change of sex. I bet it get's weird with Time Lord families. "Oh, honey, I'm so glad you're ho-...You're a woman?" "Yeah, got stabbed in the chest." "...Eh, I prefer chicks anyway."

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Echo136 said:
Regenerating into a female would bring some weird implications. Setting aside the question of how timelords procreate if they can regenerate into either gender (he was once married and had kids!), it would also bring up the problem that the Doctor was always male typically with a female companion (the platonic sense of the word). If the doctor was female would she have to find a male companion? It would totally switch things around. It could work though. Donna Noble played a really good Metacrisis Hybrid, where she was half timelord, showing its possible to have a female play the part. But would it be alright with the fans. Thats the question.
If The Doctor is anything like Donna as a woman, I'd stop watching. I personally hated Donna, she was annoying as all hell.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
No no no no no no no no no no no no no NO!

The is an established distinction between Time Lords abd Time Ladies in canon for a reason!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'd be interesting. I mean you can probably get quiet a few interesting stories out of a female doctor that you can't do with a male doctor. It's not as if they don't practically reboot the whole dang show on regular intervals and clearly it is possible for the doctor to regenerate as a woman (There's a joke about it shortly after a regeneration). Why not?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Spazman said:
the doctor is more about the attitude than the appearance as the actor can pull off the right attitude it doesn't matter whether they are male or female
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I wouldn't be up for just any woman to take the role but in the hands of the right woman, it could work well.
It does beg the question however: why not just make her a different character all together?

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
The doctor is male, his companion (or at least one of them) is usually female, that is just how the show is, it won't make a difference anyways.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I always thought that he nver regenerated into anything other than a white, human looking guy was because regeneration isn't that open. I figured it worked that gender, and general shape were fixed and couldn't be changed.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Yes the Doctor should be a woman, at least once.
And the companion should still be a woman...
And they should love each other...
And the program should be moved to after 9:00...

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
No! Though this may be sexist but historically, the Doctor is not female! AT ALL! and for gods sake, i already stopped watching the show when they brought in that 'Alpha Male and Female' Bullshit with the new doctor. I truthfully would never watch it again if they ended up changing everything around like fucking idiots! BRING BACK MY BELOVED DOCTOR WHO YOU BASTARDS!