Question of the Day, October 29, 2010

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
I'm doing my best to get in the industry as a game designer. To be more accurate, I'm going for a modeler position. I haven't yet decided what I enjoy most to do, but probably a character artist, even though it's one of the hardest positions to get.I'll be applying for a job in that field in Feb, so I hope for the best.

ThePeaceFrog

Oct 18, 2008
A chance to work in the part of the creative sector that every other part looks down upon for having no artistic merit? Hmmm... think I'll pass

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
I'd like to either be a QA tester or editor. I know they did a piece on it not being as great because you're constantly playing a buggy/unfinished product looking for the mistakes, but that only made me more interested. As well as I hate hate hate actually writing, but making other people's writing shine is what I've found I'm pretty good at, just a shame my job I do now has zero to do with it. Also, I can't count the number of times I played through a game and cringed at the writing that needed a serious editor. So I guess my pick is a double Other for the poll.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Project manager, I'm good at organising people, good at motivation and establishing bonds, good at resolving conflicts, it is something I'm researching into getting into, looks hard!

I would like most of the others, but my creativity is lacking, my art is like a 9 year olds and I can barely program fortran '90.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
If I had to pick a video-game related job I would be a production/concept artist. I love to sketch, I'm good at it, and it's always cool to draw new characters

Alyssacubi

Oct 18, 2010
I am honestly aiming to be a programmer sometime in the future. :3 It'll take some working to, but as long as I get there in the end.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
programmer and or writer i like to write stories but i a also like to write code

Egitor

Jan 28, 2010
I'd love to compose and record videogame music!
I also like voice acting, my audio books are well received by those who have heard them =)

MadGodXero

Dec 6, 2009
Hmmmmm... game designer for me. Too bad I don't have any skills or know of any good colleges or I would be studying and becoming one already.

Oct 14, 2010
I'm trying for games journalism. I currently do the "real world" variant and it stinks. Don't ever expect high pay and easy street in the field, but if I'm going to do it, I'd rather cover stuff I enjoy.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
A writer for a game. I'd love to be the one creating the great story for a game; the problem is getting into the industry. Come December, I'll have my four year degree in English and will be wandering around out there looking for something to do.

Other than writing for a game, I would love to become a reviewer. I never tire of gaming and think it is appropriate with my critical attitude towards games.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I went to GamesCom with EA and spent most my time chilling with their Community Managers (ie, Marketing) and they have a whale of a time. Sure, they work hard and in the cliche "evil marketing department" but they get to play all the cool games, promote them to others and spend most their time basically breathing the game.

I guess it would suck if you got stuck with a game you hate though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Writer or Journalist. I love to write.

Calumon: I dunno, how much cake do journa...things get?
Depends. There's not much cake in the game industry these days.

Writer would be awesome.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Game designer. That just seems like an awesome job. I would probably be no good at it, though.

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
I would be a professional naysayer. My job would be to sit in on all the important meetings and say things like "Midichlorians? That's a $&#**^% stupid idea!" or "When have QTE ever been fun?" I think a lot of games could be improved if there was a position like this.