Question of the Day, September 19, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, September 19, 2010

If you haven't checked out The Escapist's Halo timeline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/8114-Halo-Timeline], it's chock-full of interesting facts about one of the most popular shooters of all time. Ignoring the obvious ones, which event do you think was most responsible for Halo's resounding success? Why?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I guess I'd say RvB. It not only made Halo more popular, but it's the best example for machinima.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Theres no question it was Red vs Blue. I think it was the whole reason I got Halo in the first place.

friedo.obrain

Jan 29, 2010
Never played Halo nor did any of my friends but most of them have heard of RvB so i guess that's what introduced non players to it (i doubt ppl umfamiliar with the halo universe would bother with comics or novels)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I would not give two tugs of a dead dog's dick (sorry Spider) about Halo if it wasn't for Rooster Teeth and Red vs Blue. Don't like the games, but I enjoy the series.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Red vs. Blue. Lord know's it's the only reason I gave a damn about Halo.

Other than the fact the first game's single-player was pretty good (by modern FPS standards).

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Personally I hate Red Vs Blue but that brought a lot of extra attention to it. I love the graphic novels and written novels though.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
Red vs. Blue was good, although I only saw a few episodes so it never really influenced me much. I had been a Halo fan long before they started releasing episodes of RvB.

For me it would have to be the fact that it was primarily a console shooter, and people were interested in seeing how it turned out (console shooters had been done before, but not as good as Halo in my opinion). The fact that it was a launch title for a new console helped it a lot, and a lot of other things contributed to its initial success. I honestly think word of mouth is really the big thing, because even though RvB was good, in the end it was just word of mouth for most people, and I know this because my friend loves RvB, but does not own any Halo games (he doesn't own an Xbox), but he does like the series going off the few times he has played it when he comes over. The only reason he tried it at first was because I asked him if he would like to try it, and he did, so in the end it was me reccomending it to him that got his attention.

I don't know... I guess for different people there are different reasons, and whatever brought you to it is going to be what you choose. In the end I can't really choose any of them because I had never heard of Halo until my father bought me an X-Box for Christmas and it came with Halo: Combat Evolved (along with Amped... which sucked), and that is how I became aware of it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think Red vs Blue did alot for it, as well as the ilovebees thing - which was fantastic

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
red vs blue
on a side note, there are halo comics, when did that happen?