Question of the Day, September 25, 2010

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
Zaverexus said:
Zelda. Ocarina of Time probably, but after that game the music is much the same so it doesn't matter
Gotta agree. I was thinking what my choice would be but then I remembered only last week I looked up the Song of Storms on Youtube so it would be silly of me not to go for this. But Kamaro's Dance Song in Majora's Mask still gets me too.

Stoplesteimer

Jun 4, 2009
A tossup between Halo and Portal, but I believe Halo has more memorable songs, I can only remember the one from Portal.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
It's a toss-up between Portal and Halo for me . . . although the most memorable of all time would HAVE to be the original Mario theme.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I find myself humming to Mass Effect 2's club songs from time to time. I've had them stuck in my head for quite some while now. That said, I could recognise any of the aformentioned series' songs should I hear them out of context. Possibly because I've played the games so much.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
You know, there really should be a 'Which game has the best music' thread rather than classic v. modern. As this kind of cuts out some very excellent games in between.

Ben Houge's music for string quartet for Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura are some of the best compositional style pieces in videogames ever, both memorable and haunting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9HB3Hb1b0&feature=related

Kevin Manthei's work for Sacrifice is another favourite, and fits the bizarre looking game perfectly, with many of the tracks taking on a rather tribal feel:

http://www.kmmproductions.com/mu_sac.html

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Portal had interesting background music, but Still Alive I hate because it's always a reminder to me how the best parts of games that need to be experienced first-hand will always be spoiled the day before the game comes out by some console monkey. I'm actually annoyed that it's up there. /hate post

Halo had the opening choir music, chilling in a sci-fi way we haven't heard since 2001: A Space Oddysey, and then there was the "Halo song", you know the one. Those are the only two that stuck out in any way. The soundtrack to that game was really, completely amazing when I looked it up; too bad it's not memorable since in the game I never heard it over explosions and Elites and whatnot. The cutscenes were too boring to hear it either.

Kingdom Hearts? Are you kidding?

Metal Gear Solid had the most memorable music of all of these, par none. Of course, that's not indicative of the music quality, but that's pretty up there too. With the theme song they suckered us in, and then finished cementing it in our brains afterward with the Game Over song. Definitely one of the best musical set pieces in gaming history. Now most of the actual games... meh.

For me it was Silent Hill 2 because I'm a fanboy.

A-Heart-Of-Gold

Apr 25, 2010
If I get Portal music in my head it is there for days unlike the others in the list! Or maybe I just spend too much time playing Portal!

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Katamari was certainly the most memorable, although MGS would get my vote for consistently best. Portal and Silent Hill both have very memorable and good individual songs, but most of the soundtracks of those are meant to be unobtrusive, just hanging out in the back, subtly adding to the atmosphere.

Ontoue

May 13, 2009
D: No love for Shadow of the Colossus?

And these two have a completely different style from the rest.
With an Organ!
Slow-paced and ominous.

Or for that matter, Minecraft?
This one i can actually play on the piano (atleast until about the 45 second mark.)
And my favorite:

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
From the list, I have to say Halo.

Next(not on the list) I'd have to say is Modern Warfare 2. Hans Zimmer has a habit of composing memorable and epic music. Shit I'm listening to it right now and I just feel so damn epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA6zH7gKSr4&feature=PlayList&p=B3D4C1354DF8C784&index=0&playnext=1

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
On that list, Metal Gear Solid; otherwise, Final Fantasy 12 had a pretty solid soundtrack (I think) but I'm one of the six or so people on the internet that still like FF12.

Shadow of the Colossus tunes I didn't find memorable on their own (I can't hum any off the top of my head) but they really did add to the exhilaration of, well, every fight in that game.

Red Dead Redemption had some groovy bass.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Here's a question that comes to mind: if "Still Alive" wasn't blown out of proportion into one of the internet's most annoying memes (up there with "the cake is a lie"), how many people would ahve voted for something other than Portal?