Question of the Day, September 25, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, September 25, 2010

Building off of yesterday's question of the day, The Escapist now wants to know which modern videogames have the best theme songs. Which modern videogame music can you just not stand?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Out of those listed, I'd have to say either Portal (For obvious reasons), or Halo. Both have very memorable music, that is easily recognisable. Then again, so does Metal Gear Solid...

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Metal Gear Solid. Anyone can hum the music. Plus it's one that I can listen to while not playing the game and no one thinks I'm weird.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
I remember when i first played MGS2 and i was blown away by the intro music!

OT: Also "stalker call of Pripyat" intro and outro music-epic.

Jun 26, 2009
Out of them Portal as I know all the words...
Second KH.
But from my choice FFX. To zanarkand and Otherworld are the two best videogame musics ever.

Willis_D

May 27, 2009
From the list, Halo or Portal, but more so Halo as it has more then one song I'd remember.
Love the music of the Halo series.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I haven't played all those games, but Portal has the best music. Mainly for the awesome song at the end. Halo has damn good music as well.

Honourable mention goes to Flower which just uses simple music really well.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
I'll go with Katamari, because while I haven't played it, the music is awesome.

Why isn't AC2 up there? That had fantastic music.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
It has to be Halo. I adore Still Alive as much as anyone, but Halo has memorable and kickass music from start to finish through all the games. The simple formula they built off of combined with dynamic progression creates a soundtrack that's simultaneously atmospheric and memorable when games usually have to pick one over the other. It's quite astounding how well the sound design worked out and that has likely contributed greatly to the Halo series' overall success. While I think the games are just okay, Halo always wins when it comes to music.