Question of the Day, September 4, 2010

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
Of course it's DOOM! No other game has ever influenced FPS genre more than id's creation.

The second place should be forever reserved for Half-Life, as first-person storytelling and highly scripted levels of modern shooters are clearly derived from HL.

What has Golden Eye achieved? It's an FPS on the console? And that's all?
Quake? I like all id's games and just love first Quake, but there was nothing innovative in it except 3D graphics, really.
Unreal Tournament was good online shooter, but are there many MP shooters now with the same concept? DOOM 2 and Quake defined "classic" multiplayer, while Team Fortress (classic) AFAIK introduced class-based warfare to it. Oh, and there was Counter Strike, which was almost a revolution with it's highly tactical gameplay. UT - nothing new.
Call of Duty is basically rail-shooter with scripted scenes all over the place - it's a Half-Life derivative, so nothing new here either.

Halo. Well, it could get third place with health regeneration and one of the earliest successful use of vehicles in shooters, but I'd rather put Team Fortess (original late 90's version) there for class-based MP, which is now everywhere, while regeneration isn't.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
Wolfenstein 3D has to be one of the most influential shooters of all time, also, it came out one year before Doom.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Sadly, Quake, because they all took that game and made slight adjustments to it. Most modern FPSes are brown-colored, space marine in power armor slogs through mediocrity.

Duke Nukem Forever, you can take another 12 years in development for all I care, JUST BRING BACK THE COLOR AND PERSONALITY AND LET ME CARRY MORE THAN TWO GUNS AND FOUR GRENADES AGAIN!

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Wolfenstein 3D really needs to be on here.

It's amazing Quake only has 7% considering it pretty much single handedly started the whole online multiplayer revolution. Not to mention several of its mods have since spawned full fledged games and become incredibly influential on their own (see: TF).

Half-life helped define the modern FPS; realistic building structures and maps, actual story telling, etc. Though, there are still a shit ton of games using old school FPS philosophies, so not too much of an impact.

Golden Eye really did little more than prove an FPS is commercially viable on console. Which would have happened sooner or later anyways.

Why the fuck is Halo even on this list... like... wow...

I'd like to toss Deus Ex into the mix. It's getting more and more difficult to find shooters where you just pick up a gun and run; more and more you have character/stat building, limit inventory, etc. Deus Ex really helped blur the lines between RPG, FPS, and Action and the genre really hasn't been the same since.

Also, how is Counter-Strike not on the list? I know it was really just a mod, but it had a stand-alone release. And really, it's probably the sole reason we're seeing these cancerous "realistic" war based shooters ala any CoD, any BF (sans heroes), etc...

Basically I'm saying: Wolf > Quake > Dues Ex > CS(gag)

The Great JT said:
Sadly, Quake, because they all took that game and made slight adjustments to it. Most modern FPSes are brown-colored, space marine in power armor slogs through mediocrity.

Duke Nukem Forever, you can take another 12 years in development for all I care, JUST BRING BACK THE COLOR AND PERSONALITY AND LET ME CARRY MORE THAN TWO GUNS AND FOUR GRENADES AGAIN!
I think I love you. Though can't blame Quake for the limited inventory thing. Aside from Duke, there was Serious Sam which was pretty fucking awesome, though seems like Serious Sam 3 might as well be dubbed Serious Sam Forever.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
since my first shooter game was Call of Duty, I chose that one.

EDIT: I guess since I am only 15, I don't have the knowledge everyone else has. I have never played DOOM or almost all the other games in that list (except Half Life and Halo) so I probably shouldn't of even voted :S

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Hmmm. A tough one today. While games like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom pioneered the FPS genre it has changed a lot since those days. What about Medal of Honour which put some emotional weight to action games, Half Life really mixed up the formula as did Halo (you have to admit Halo changed the FPS game). I'm going with Doom. It popularised and started the Genre.

Neevar

May 10, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzIgr_tg6Tc

kidding. Doom no doubt.I know alot of people who haven't played HALO, but i do not know a person who owned a PC in '94 and haven't played Doom.

Feb 13, 2008
silentsentinel said:
I know it's not the most popular, but after Halo's release regenerating health became a staple in all modern shooters, so I voted that...
Apart from Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Quake, Dai-Katana, Duke Nukem, Team Fortress 1/2 and a whole lot of others.

Hell, a lot of these have DEgenerating health.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
How can Wolfenstein 3D not be on the list? It is the original FPS, so I voted other. However, if you mean the modern FPS, it's probably Half Life that moved the genre forward in many now familiar directions: linear set-piece single player, sophisticated multiplayer (more than an afterthought) and strong community support for modding and clans. These elements may have existed elsewhere but this brought them all together and did it better.

I will, however, always have a soft spot for Unreal Tournament, what a game...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Doom.

Just perfect weapons balance.
The first vibrant mod community. It's been 17 years and levels are still being released [http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16116].
First official recognition of mod community by the developers (culminating in Final Doom & the Master Levels).
Deathmatch!
Multiplayer with someone not physically present; it was over the phone, but still....
Gorgeous music (love ya Bobby Prince).

(Still a big fan.)