Question of the Day, September 4, 2010

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
GoldenEye certainly defined the modern FPS and brought it to the mainstream by using the Bond franchise. Whether or not that's a good thing, though...

egwidalin

May 8, 2009
Doom influenced the entire genre as a whole. Half-life influenced great single player FPS games with good level design, a good story, and still being fun. Goldeneye was the first FPS on the console that didnt have outrageous controls, and made multiplayer popular (4 player split-screen at the time was a blast with friends). Halo took gldeneye and pushed it one step further by perfecting controls, making an acessible matchmaking on a console, and making a GOOD co-op mode. All these games did their own part. I put in for halo seeing as how it was the first FPS i played that i finished through the game without abusing cheat codes and just messing around. (Im looking at you goleneye and turok hehe)

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Arella18 said:
Wolfenstein 3D was the first FPS game in existence so it influenced the shooter genre more than any other
This. Considering the rest likely wouldn't have even existed had Wolfenstein not appeared first.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
DOOM hands down. It made the FPS Genre... literally.

Calumon: Space Invaders! ^^
Technically Wolfenstein created it, DOOM perfected it, but still DOOM by far. Goldeneye was the first awesome console FPS. And I guess I'll give Halo (especially since Halo was just a colorful version of Quake/Doom with more generic and less Satan) and Call of Duty credit for infecting the genre with generic rehashes of games that killed originality and imagination.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Doom for starting the genre.

Half Life for giving it a story.

Goldeneye for amazing Multiplayer/console shooter.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
In my opinion, it's Doom. It set the bar for all FPS's to come.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I would say Quake. Doom started the craze, but without Quake we wouldn't have Unreal or the tech that Half Life was originally based on, or Team Fortress 2 for that matter. Golden Eye was a major leap for console FPS games, and while I liked Call of Duty, Medal of Honor was it's prototype. As for Halo... what's it doing there?
Battlefield would have been much better option than Halo, or Time Splitters.

C4N4DUCK18

Jun 9, 2010
Doom and Quake together in my opinion were the most influential. Doom, well, because it's Doom (good ol floppy disks!) and Quake for multiplayer (was it quake that had the BFG? or Doom? I can't remember). However one FPS that remains my favorite to this day is Perfect Dark for its AI engine and customizable multiplayer settings. A wide variety of individual weapons makes this game very unique. The aiming mechanism was terrible, but it was N64, what could you do about it?

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Doom, because as much as I enjoy playing Halo there is honest to god nothing special or innovative about it. Halo 2 on the other hand sorted out Console online gaming.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Quake is a no-no. It is good, but it never defined it, it just taken what 007 had. Saying that, i think 007 and UT defined the FPS in my eyes. Both insanly fun to play single player and multiplayer.

Feb 13, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
Quake is a no-no. It is good, but it never defined it, it just taken what 007 had.
Quake: '96 Goldeneye 007: '97

Actually, as was pointed out to me, the question wasn't even about First Person.

So, Spacewar!, first shooter ever.