Question of the Day, September 6, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, September 6, 2010

Following the same theme as an earlier question of the day, The Escapist would like to know which RPG game you think has had the most influence on the genre. How did it contribute?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Final Fantasy - By Far - No other game has introduced so many other elements which are now been ripped off, or used in other series.

Without a doubt

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Final Fantasy, no questions asked. Might not be the favorite rpg series of many, but there is no doubt they are responsible by the vast majority of progress within the genre.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
Oblivion obviously, that game is epic. Final Fantasy has too many cut scenes, if it were not for this, I would choose final fantasy.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Well first of all, Zelda isn't an RPG at all. These choices suck. Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Ultima Online, Fallout etc are all far more influential.

My votes going to Baldur's Gate.

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
Uh... Where's Lord British? Akalabeth and Ultima? Considered to be the most influential RPG's of all time thanks to their morality systems years before morality systems; real open-world systems; theft and 'real visibility' systems... etc. etc. etc.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
This is a difficult one, as ones definition of RPG, due to the broadness or innacuracies of the term may vary.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Depends.

RPG is a pretty loose term, as several writers have pointed out right here on the Escapist.

So... are we talking the agnsty preteens with spiky hair flavour? Or the kind with dialogue trees and character stats that can't seem to stop ripping off Tolkien?

Mar 30, 2010
Baldur's Gate? Morrowind? Fallout?

In their absence I'll go with BG's successor Neverwinter Nights - it's tabletop D&D with graphics and I think it's fair to say that without D&D there wouldn't be RPGs.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I predict Final Fantasy will win, since it's single-handedly defined the very structure of the average JRPG.

In terms of WRPG's, (which I based my choice on), I'd say Baldur's Gate originally influenced the medium, since it basically initiated the transferral of tabletop RPG's and their dice-rolling, turn-based style into a (semi-)real-time gaming format. As for influencing current WRPG's, I'd say the Mass Effect Series or Heavy Rain, if the recent article on how they've influenced the new Witcher is any indication. WRPG's are definitely taking a turn for the cinematic these days.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
huh, allot of newer games, i mean dragon age came out last year, i dont think it has had any influence yet, i mean no one can make a game influenced by dragon age in 1 year.

i would say Fallout 2 (and i guess 1, but i think 2 was just that much better that it could actually influence the genre) for its incredible freedom, the likes i have yet to see, and being the first game to allow gay marriage, the second game to feature that being sims 3 11 years later btw, its dark tone as a result of the freedom, it is still my all time favorite game and i really think it has influenced the genre allot.

either that or baldurs gate, but since fallout 2 came out first it has had the longest time to spray its influence all over the genre.

ironduke88

Mar 20, 2010
Baulder's gate? WoW? Diabolo? Fallout? Heroes of Might and Magic? and one last time say it with me "Zelda is as much an RPG as God of War; which is to say barely".

I will say KotoR out of shear fan-boyism.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape: Torment when it comes to the isometric view
Diablo when it comes to action-rpg
First TES and TES II:Daggerfall when it comes to first person dungeon crawls
FF III/Chrono Trigger when it comes to jRPGs
UO, EQ and WoW in MMORPG department.
Mass Effect for the current-gen story telling RPG.

The poll is odd however. Mixing current-gen cRPGs with older series asking a pretty vague question while the genre has so many flavours, especially odd too see titles like Dragon Age or Oblivion which never really aspired to be influential. DA was a tribute to isometric view cRPGs and Oblivion was just next in the series.