Question of the Day, September 9, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, September 9, 2010

The Escapist received its very own edition of Wizard of the Coast's Red Box Starter set [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103321-Unboxing-the-New-D-D-Red-Box], which promises to introduce a plenty of new players to D&D. We want to know what your favorite edition was and why?

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
While 4th Edition certainly makes combat more interesting and helps keep things balanced, I started roleplaying with 3rd Edition so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
4th one for me - Its really only one I have platyed if im honest - but, it seems fairly balanced, and offerd good progression

Fortuan

Oct 14, 2008
I feel that while 4th is more condensed it has the best clear stated rules. Being a DM for a long time you get tired of characters that don't do any thing like "i swing my sword" is the most they say or the infinitely strong 3.5 kobolds. I also know that you can still customize characters just as much.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Curious as to why 3.5e isn't a fixed choice on that list...Cause that's what I'm going with.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I've never played D&D.

I've seen someone play the original once...I think. I'll go with that.

Fortuan

Oct 14, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
Curious as to why 3.5e isn't a fixed choice on that list...Cause that's what I'm going with.
Well I started with 3 then 3.5 made some good improvements but still wasn't the greatest thing. The class progressions are extremely complicated and it doesn't cater well to new players also it doesn't really give classes like fighters a lot to do other than "I swing my weapon"

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
3.5 all the way. That's all I've ever played.
Though I'd love to try out 4.0 anyways...

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
4e Living Forgotten Realms. Has some minor differences I like (I think, I've only played LFR, but reading through the rule back, there's some changes)

Mar 30, 2010
I started out playing AD&D, and have moved up the editions over the years, but my preferred system is 3.5. Between me and the rest of my group we've got over thirty of the 3.5 suppliments like Complete Arcane, Expanded Psionics, Lords of Madness etc and so have built up quite an extensive library that allows whoever our current GM is to give the rest of the group a gaming experience well above what you would get just by using PHB, DMG, and MM.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
3rd Edition was the starting point for me (thank you Baldur's Gate), so it will always have a special place in my heart. I've never really understood the whole 3rd versus 4th flame war, by the way. Different rules, different ways of doing stuff, whatever floats your boat in my book... =)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I got into the game at 3rd Edition (though I got burned with the "3.5" crap), but I'm picking up the 4th Ed books so I can give it a try.

Raqshiem

Jan 31, 2010
I enjoy 4e because of the fancy abilities, which really allow you to better enthrall new players to your group. However, I've noticed because of their being so many new abilities with all these different situations, advantages, etc. it really seems to cramp the players imaginations.

3.5e we'd have crazy adventures: a Minotaur wearing chain armor was grappling hook'd by the Halfling Rogue and then the Dwarf Fighter pulled him into a pit o' sacrificial fire, the fighter figuring that his sword is doing nothing to the horde of skeletons, so he "disarms" a skeleton with a STR check and dual wields humerus-maces. Things like that.

Now in 4e, the same party just wanders around the dungeon using their same base skill over... and over... and over... Occasionally using their encounter power or daily. Seems like the imagination aspect of the game is dwindling. No more impromptu weapons, no more crazy schemes. I miss playing 3.5e.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
I've got a love for AD&D thanks to Baldur's Gate, but my favourite is 3, as Feats are awesome. If only there was some way to combine feats with THACO...